Decimation of Australia's Heritage Brumbies

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Deejay, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deejay

Deejay New Member

PLEASE HELP!!

All across the country, Australias Heritage Brumbies are being slaughtered; in abattoirs and from the air. Next month when the Western Australian Government begins their cull of the magnificent Arab horses of the Kimberley; foals just days old, mares just weeks away from giving birth and proud stallions alike will die, most slowly and in agony, when the choppers and bullets begin to fly.

This is mass genocide; being perpetrated by our Government under the pretence of 'protecting' the environment, with total disregard for the facts and future consequences.

Should we allow this to happen without taking a stand, we are just as guilty as the men pulling the trigger or driving the knackery truck. These horses have survived for generations and we cannot allow them to be systematically eradicated like rats; these are intelligent, trusting and noble creatures with great value in many ways and we must protect them at all costs.

The Federal Government must answer for their treatment of the Brumbies across Australia; from the Snowy Mountains to the Kimberley some of the finest examples of horse breeding in history are being eradicated and disposed of, indiscriminately, without compassion and with no consideration for the alternatives or those offering to save them from such an awful fate.

Among them are descendants of the historic Walers; legends of Australian history and heroes in their own right. Are we to offer this as the reward for their efforts? We have Legacy to look after the descendants of the soldiers, but who cares for the horses that carried them through?

In direct conflict with the Government and their legislation, groups such as hoofs2010, who fight for and rescue the Kosciusko Brumbies, or Wild Horses Kimberley on the western front, are working tirelessly without recognition or reward to stop this massacre and save what we have left. On September 30 in all capital cities across the world, people can join these groups as they protest loudly but peacefully against the horror these horses will face and to petition the Government for legislative change to stop the slaughter now and in the future.

This is a matter of utmost importance and I sincerely hope all reading this will help us to get the message out there. If memory serves me correctly, a few years ago the Government planned a similar cull of Koalas on Kangaroo Island; the reaction to which was a horrified public outcry and hours of media coverage. Will the public conscience extend only to those we consider 'cute and cuddly' or will you lend us your voice and show your support for these beautiful, noble animals by publicising their plight and giving the protest and the impending cull the coverage they deserve??

Please everyone; show your support for our Historic Brumbies and the Wild Horses of the Kimberley by attending a rally in your capital city on September 30th, and together we can show the Government the true power of the people. Time is of the essence.
    For further information please go to WILD HORSES KIMBERLEYor for information on the Kosciusko Brumbies ? HOOFS2010 Inc - HOME

Donna Bruce
    #(

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

Yeap the premier rocks doesnt he! The doggers (been asked to drop any they can up north, that includes, donkeys, camels etc) on stations at least do can kill them instantly. Not like cowboys in choppers.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  3. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

"descendants of the historic Walers" god this always makes me laugh, how can they be descendants when not one single horse came back from the war to be bred from.

What emotive dribble.

These horses are FERAL, and deserve no more protection than the cane toad.

The deserve a humane death, as human as possible considering the environment, YES some horses will suffer, but the environment will be far better of with out them in it, and our TRUE native animals might have half a chance of surviving.

Being able to round up and rehome a few hundred of these horses does not prove that you can save them all, you still have to cull out the rest. with out these culls can you imagine how much worse the feral horse problem will be?

It wont be one the news that we now have cane toads in Karatha it will be Brumbys in your back yard.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2010
  4. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

we arent really gunna do this AGAIN are we?

*stands over in sharaways corner*

5. You know what I really find disturbing?';'
    We don't see many petitions to save starving domesticated animals due to their owners neglect..';'';'';'';'

6. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Absolutely **)

7. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

The sad thing is going to happen but there is not much we can do .:(

But as colibanqh said what about the domestic pets that are been exposed to cruel conditions and treatment. #(

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Cattle and goats are treated the same up there and I don't see anyone crying about them?

9. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

We need to Cull... but chopper culling?

10. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I find the petitions to "stop the sale of horsemeat for human consumption" hypocritical.

Why aren't these same people petitioning the abolition of the sale of horsemeat for pet consumption??

- it is okay to feed them to pets somehow..but not too humans...

LOL we could go on all day here!!

11. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

fair arguments.. needs to be done but not by chopper... but i cant think of another way to do it. in a perfect world we could rehome and everyone could look after all their pets and animals but i know if that was the case id end up being mum to about 5000 goats 100 horses 50 cows and a hell of a lot of feral pigs dogs chickens cats etc etc.. where would it stop?? just call me snow white... love my animals but it has to be done.

12. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

Why can't we have a reserve of some sort as other countries do for their horses? they have put aside areas of land for their endangered horses and manage them well with annual culls of sick lame and otherwise unwanted [meaning] excess stallions etc] and old stock.
    Its not as if we don't have room and before any one says but it is unsuitable land, there are areas that people don't/wont live that is unhospitable land but has a good supply of water and it's not as if brumbies are soft! they would survive and a natural cull would rid the reserves of weak stock.
    I bet every state would have some land.
    The cost of choppers is horrific so why can't the money be spent on better things than killing, and/or not cleanly killing horses.
    I won't live for another 50 years but my offsapring might and I am glad I won't be around to explain the reasons why etc.

13. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

You may find that any land that is suitable for horse to live in, is already taken up by pastoralists for cattle and they aren't too keen on sharing their meagre feed and water with a feral animal.

14. Janet Winter

Janet Winter Guest

Until you can say you have witnessed suffering at the hands of drought and have had to put a bullet in an animal?s head to end its suffering you are a hypocrite and you have no idea I have had the displeasure of doing this. The shooters aren't cowboys they are marksmen and do you think they enjoy it well take the bloody time to talk to them you may be surprised.
    I have seen worse suffering from ignorant cruel and heartless fools, more suffering from lack of water and feed, more suffering from wild dogs that rip the hamstring, chew out the balls or bite of the udders.
    Until people remove their fantasies and see the real life more are going to suffer from starvation and thirst, just remember they can't turn a tap on for water or pop down to the stockfeed for hay.

Cheers';'

15. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I love you Janet, your MY hero ....seriously you are hugs and kisses lol

16. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Its a shame we cant resurrect that thread on this subject I recall reading some time ago where you ended up with a totally different opinion than what your saying now Sharaway, it pays to stick to your views one way or another:confused:

Are you suggesting every single horse bought to australia, and those bred in Australia for the remount trade left the country and went to war?
    What about all those ones that escaped, and those that were released and those left behind by soldiers?

Really, how can you be so judgemental when you clearly have an uninformed opinion? (one that appears to change to and fro)

I wonder what our soldiers would say in response to your comments, I dare say you would be shown the same consideration you have given the decendants of the horses that carried them to battle,and deservedly so.#(

17. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Their use as war-horses is testament to their good temperament, sure footedness and resilience. Horses from the Northern Tablelands of NSW were captured and bred for the remount trade and were known as Walers; the brumbies roaming free today can be traced back to those early bloodlines including the great Arabian stallion, Saladin. Read more about the light horse here Welcome — Australian Light Horse Association

And from Wild Horses of Kimberley-

In 2007, the Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum sent his Vet to see me and after seeing the photos of the horses he went straight out to Lake Gregory and trapped 13 horses. The Sheik has the pick of the best horses in the world. He values these horses above all for his Endurance racing and is now using these horses in Dubai for breeding as well as racing.

Slightly more useful than a cane toad I would say.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  18. Nightsky

Nightsky Guest

So what's so wrong about having a brumby in you backyard ? I would much rather one of those for a kids mount than a thoroughbred off the race track.
    I can't see how you can compare a a feral horse to a CANE TOAD but anyway ....

And why is there so many "brumbies" / feral horses anyhow ... after visiting 10+ pilbara & kimberley stations I do know why #( and you know what too ... sometimes when a racehorse does not perform well enough in country races, he will end being a "brumby" too ... )

Culling of introduced species is part of land management and it will need to be done however this problem wouldn't be as big if PREVENTION was part of the plan .... Pilbara & the Kimberleys are such vast areas ... when you want to control something then try to stop the problem from coming back again and again ... if you let something loose in the outback of course it's gonna multiply and the problem gets bigger #( not the horses fault humans did this to them

As far as this thread goes, the original poster wasn't probably expecting such an aggressive welcome #(

19. Seahorse

Seahorse Well-known Member

True that, but now we have to deal with the problem that we have! If people weren't daft enough to just let horses go into the bush, we wouldn't have to resort to culling from helicopters. People need to let go of the romantic notion of brumbies. They damage the landscape, destroy habitat that native animals rely on, and (as Janet said), can suffer horribly during droughts.

If there's a possibility to rehome or domesticate some brumbies in some areas, then great, but this is hardly a solution to the problem.

Probably, but I guess that's the danger with diving right in, and posting something that you assume everyone will agree with! A quick search of the forums reveals a number of threads that show the diversity of opinions on this.

On the plus side, the info and links that Deejay posted are available for anyone wishing to get involved, or contact her.

20. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.