darkning or dying a horses coat?

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by dressagedivaII, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Wrangler Miss

Wrangler Miss Well-known Member

To help me wih this I wait until after I have used the condis before clipping the white sock .... If I have any accidents I just remove the evidence *HAHA* **)

2. Salinero

Salinero Well-known Member

Clever... too bad I don't clip my girl... at least not for now :D

3. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Just remember ALL treatments even normal shampoo can cause reactions in horses. I would not use ANY of them without doing a patch test first :)*

4. Hayley Vale Stud

Hayley Vale Stud New Member

hey i put 2-3 caps to 1L water warm but first i put a lil bit of hot water in to desolv the crystals i use on all colours but when there are a lil bit ov white on a bay black ect i put heeps ov condis n shampoo mix on there to stop the bleach look

5. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

OOOOOOHHHH that's how u use those shampoos!!! hahahahaha, i was just washing it straight off :p

6. daisy1

daisy1 New Member

I was told to dilute the whole container of condies in a bucket of warm water, is this right????? also, how long does it usually last once applied??

7. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

You can definitely overdo it with the condies. I think it burns when you make a v strong solution and do it over and over again each show. A pony was a chestnut and the owner wanted to make him liver early in the season, after which he looked fantastic, very flash, but come Royal Show time his coat was completely fried and the coat growing through was terribly dry!

So my advice is be careful not to go too overboard :)

8. mistress72

mistress72 Active Member

the reason why condis may be alright for humans but not horses is that horses have a very different skin ph level to us.As for show pony colour please do your research before using it, some may have had great results but from what i hear to some it is disasterous effects not in what there horse looked like but what it did to it.

9. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

I've heard the same Mistress72 I would be very very careful about using that product after some of the reactions I've heard of and thats after following the instructions to the letter.

10. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I dye manes/tails on blacks or bays for big shows such as State Champs or the Royal but will NEVER dye a horses body even if it's the same colour.

IMO & i really don't give a toss to those that don't agree :D, but if you have a "red" chestnut & want to use Condies to get a "liver" colour, go & bloody buy a LIVER CHESTNUT!
    If you have a black that fades, well keep it rugged, feed suitable supplements, Hi Shine or QV Oil Baths etc but i just don't get this "dying the coat business".

Those that do, well why didn't you just buy the colour you WANT! :confused:

And before anyone jumps in & says it's because they show & it's all about presentation yaddah yaddah - we i have & do compete VERY successfully at State Level, for example my 2yo Mini Horse filly (whom is now retired due to x 2 bouts of Cellulitus) is the 2008 WA NMR Grand Champion Exhibit, under judges Adam King & Jenny Leaver. My filly was 8 mths old, she took off ALL the major awards that day, Grand Champion Futurity, Supreme Jnr Small horse, Overall Best WA Bred etc etc & then in a lineup of about 11 mini's, some very successful performers, some Imported, some with exceptional breeding etc she became State Grand Champion.... & i didn't even use ANY dye to darken her "chestnut patches". ;)

Does it really matter the horses coat colour, if the horse is blooming, a picture of shiny healthy, does the fact they are "red" chestnut & not "liver" chestnut (as an example) really matter??? :confused:

11. megz86

megz86 Well-known Member

Well said Remaani:))

I am not a showie at all and i think that is mainly due to the fact that i simply cant keep up LOL:p I am sooo overwhelmed by all the "stuff" that goes with it i dont even know where to start.

In saying that, whenever i go and watch at shows i am so megally (is that even a word?) jealous! I wish i had the drive and motivation to keep up with the maintance and preperation that goes into it, it looks like bloody hard work:eek:

12. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

Feed suppliments like Kohnkies own Cell iron are great for darkening your horses coat. Its the Iron in feed which is the main helper- which is why cacoliv pastes work and also people with chestnuts tend to feed pumkin - its high in iron!

but cacoliv pastes are annoying and taste crap- but the kohnkies pellet form is heaps easy and c.p thinks its a treat! haha silly pony.

Anyway- Show pony Colour is great stuff- BUT always do the tester! i know a few horses who have come out in hives from using this BUT i will still give it a go. Other than that- a few packets of hair dye from the shops is great :)
    i have no issue with dying coats- i do it to my hair to make me look better so why not to my pony!

happy colouring!:))

13. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

The difference with dying your horses/ponies coat and dying your hair is that when you dye your ponies coat you are covering about 99% of their body in a chemical. Their hair is very short (often super short when we dye them) so the dye gets all over their skin.

When we dye our hair we are putting dye on only about 5% of our body and even then we are only really putting it on our hair, it doesn't get rubbed into our scalp.

Like Mistress said, horse skin and human skin is a very different PH level. Horse skin is mich more acidic that human skin. The dyes are very alkaline. This can cause a massive chemical reaction.

When you do a test patch you would cover less than .1% of the horses skin with the dye. This is very different to covering 99% of the body.
    Remember... the skin is the largest organ in the body.

I have heard of more and more horses reacting to these dyes and it's scary... they start sweating all over their body and can't stop, they have collapsed, go into anaphalactic shock. I've also heard of 2 horses that have died.

Personally I don't think that it matters what colour your horse is or goes when you clip them. Like Remaani said, if you want your horse to be a particular colour, then buy a horse that colour.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't dye their horses, you can do what you like.
    What I am saying is to be very very careful when you do it. If your horse appears to react in any way then call your vet immediately, don't wait to see if it's going to be ok.

I think that a good horse with a healthy skin and coat is a good horse, it doesn't matter what colour it is. I love the hot oil treatments for helping their skin and coat. If you don't like the colour that your horse goes when clipped then stable it and put it under lights to keep the coat short.

I know what it's like for a horse to go a funky colour when clipped... Honda went silver this year!! Yep... silver!! I considered dying him and started researching dyes but after my research I decided that I preferred to have a silver horse for a while.