darkning or dying a horses coat?

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by dressagedivaII, Mar 5, 2009.

1. dressagedivaII

dressagedivaII Well-known Member

Does anyone know of anything to darking or dye a horses coat, my horse is a very very dark brown (almost black) and wanted to get her colour more black. Any cheap dying products or any ideas??

2. pso

pso Gold Member

Have a look at 'show pony colour enhancement'

pretty sure they are advertisers on here- if not- you can buy it at saddleworld;)

3. Wrangler Miss

Wrangler Miss Well-known Member

Condi's Crystals from the chemist are awesome. It puts an unbelievable shine on the coat and it is cheap :)

It slightly darkens the coat and adds a deep lustre and easier then dying!

4. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Be careful about using Condi's crystals, it can burn the horse
    The show pony dye looks good, but very expensive if you use it for every show

5. Wrangler Miss

Wrangler Miss Well-known Member

Thanks for the info mate :)

I have never had it burn a horse thank god but great to know as i'll be sure to start testing in the future **)

6. dressagedivaII

Yeah the show ony dye looks good, just so pricey!:O.
    Keep them coming :D

7. QH Rulz

QH Rulz Well-known Member

just some good old coloured horse shampoo.... like champion tails or equiade(sp) and pour the shampoo straight onto a body brush and scrub in (make sure your wearing gloves Though)... leave on the coat for like 10-15 minutes and rinse off.... they really do work... But dont dilute it or wash it off straight away.

Hope that helps

8. dressagedivaII

Thanks qhrulz!, ill definatley give that a try:D!

9. Jadelise

Jadelise Well-known Member

But people bath there feet in it????

I use condies and it has never burnt, maybe the strength makes a difference :confused:

10. Twiggles

Twiggles Guest

mix in normal hair dye in to your shampoo, massage in to there coat and leave on for 20 minutes. If your horse has sensitive skin I would advise against this though, but I think it is the most cost effective.

Condi's isnt that good unless you have a chestnut.

11. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

now I have not had any success at all these ones....just a waste of money for me with my black horse.

12. QH Rulz

QH Rulz Well-known Member

Thats no good Nanny... I have Bays now and they work very well.... and have used the black one on a friends horse and he came up a treat... We left it for a long time though and did it twice..... but maybe it depends on what colour black... this was a blue black horse that had been sun bleached....

13. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

if you want her properly black the best way to go is to buy packets of black human hair dye even tho its quite pricey ive seen really good results with it - youd only use it for bigger shows as it would cst approx $100 but lasts for lyk 6 weeks :)
    i didnt realise ur mare was black kels :)

14. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

Haha nevermind realised there are 2 threads :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  15. Jane_lee

Jane_lee Active Member

Nice and easy works well make sure you use shampoo and spead it evenly and use a few like twiggles said:)*

16. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Have seen a few burned and pink horses lol. ;) #( With Condis that is. :(

17. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Ditto, a lot of people use it without it causing harm to their horses but I wouldn't want to risk it

18. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

you wouldnt wan t use condis anyway because i brings out the red in the coat thats why its usually ony used on chestnuts , pallys and some bays

19. Kaisi

Kaisi Well-known Member

I’ve never heard of it burning.
    It is manufactured for human use. You’d think if it 'burnt' people’s skin (even sensitive skin) there would have be some kind of warning on the label?

I used it today to dye my friends pony.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

I love the stuff.

It's cheap and works really well **)

20. Midas

Midas Well-known Member