Damn Grass seeds :(

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by arylin, Dec 20, 2007.

1. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Poor Emmy has an ulcerated eye.
    On closer inspection this morning at the vet with the aid of sedative and her eye having been sprayed with a local vet found a big grass seed right up under her eyelid. Poor girl has such a sore eye and is now having ointment in 3 - 4 times a day for the next few weeks.
    Happened so fast as well fine one day and sore weepy eye the next and she hates having the ointment in so has to be twitched every time. I think she will see me coming and run soon.

2. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

have had to deal with grass seeds and chaff in the eyes twice...once on my horse and once on a friends arab stallion that i was looking after...not a fun job...especially as i was having to put the goop in the stallions eye three times a day...he needed twitching and i had to do it all on my own!...and it didn't help that you have to keep them locked up in the dark! Poor boy was not impressed!!

3. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Fly veils are very handy for preventing this and reducing light levels!!

4. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

She did have a fly veil on for a while but her little friend loves removing them so I can only gather it was at one of these times that the grass seed managed to enter her eye, Just very lucky that she is checked very regularly and it was quickly picked up and treated.
    Seems all my babies have the same issues with fly veils, seeing how many times they can remove them in one day and how well they can hide them from me.

5. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

i hear ya hun.

i've just had to get my dog operated on to get a grass seed out of his thigh. and then upon closer inspetion on MY behalf i find many more penetrating his skin. hopefully i got them all out.

6. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Ouch not nice-I pulled a big one out of Sweety's eye the other day but it had only just gone in so hopefully there won't be any dramas!! Hope Emmy doesn't hate you too much by the end of it-pity they don't realize we are trying to help!!

7. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Arylin , an old trick to help keep grass seeds from getting in the eye is to put vaseline around the eyes. The fact that it is greasy stops the seed from attaching itself to the hair near the eye and also helps to soften any that may get into the hair on the outside of the vaseline area.

8. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

ohhh widgelli, that is a good tip. Thanks for that one**)

9. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Thanks Jo think I might have to get the vaseline out once she is back outside and doing ok.