cushing disease.......

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Arab Lover, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Arab Lover

Arab Lover Well-known Member

hi all
    any one that is dealing with this with their horses ...what do you feed and do ..do you use drugs or herbs

as I just found this site
    Ahead by a Leg.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  2. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Neither, my old boy is at a late stage of Cushings, two vets have advised that he is fed as much fat and protein as I can get him to eat, make his life comfy (no stress) and keep on his teeth and feet, they have said at this stage their is no point using drugs. I folow everything under the "Helping Horses With Cushings" Section and he is happy and well. I have him vet checked every 6-8 weeks. I feed 40 litres of wheaten chaff and 1kg Gumnuts per day ( pony is 11hh!!) and a biscui of export hay ( he can't eat much hay - not many teeth left.)

I have a great link, hope it helps:
    Cushing's Syndrome treatment in horses - Technical information for veterinarians

There are some other threads on this

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Please let me know if you find anything that helps keep the weight on. My boy is doing very well in every other department:(

4. Arab Lover

well im going to try my girl on the herbs and the amount stated in the link that I put in ,and see how she goes...my vet might not like it ...but she already has it now so will try this.........
    how old is your old boy goodie?

5. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

28:) No signs of arthritis and everything else is functioning well, just can't keep the weight on:(

6. Arab Lover

thats good ..28..
    my girl is 25 and alls good with her she still eats, poos and wees....oh and still runs around the place like a 6 year old.......shes just started to drop weight but have started to up her hay
    and her feet are good too

7. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I have to be right on to his feet as he has previously foundered (about 20 years ago!!) Not many teeth left, so we feed lots of chaff and give him a bit of hay to pick at. Have found that he can eat pretty much all of the Export hay (little b*** has expensive taste!) Have also found that I have to keep him on wheaten chaff, within days of feeding oaten his neck hardens! He still has the occasional sprint around the paddock, is still bright and very happy to go for walks on the lead, especially if its down to the nice green grass! Is generally happy within himself. The vet tells me that I will know when it's time, and she says that their is no reason yet to think of anything as long as he is not suffering. Like you I just want to make his last few months/years here as pleasant as possible for him:)

8. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Arab lover, if you would like to come and see him you are quite welcome:)*

9. Arab Lover

forgot to say that she has only lost 1 tooth so far
    yep need to look after my old girl had her since she was about 2 or 3yo and we have done alsorts of things together so need to look after her
    so I want to try the herbs for a few months and then take her back for more tests

today she thinks she is a young filly again, talking to the boys and weeing everywhere... the boys got moved from the other paddock to the one behind the yards....silly old girl she is....

10. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

we have a 37yr old mare and she gets fed

1 scoop of full fat soy bean meal
    2 scoops of soaked lucerne hay (removes sugar)
    3 scoops of soaked speedi beat
    1 tablespoon of salt
    1 tablespoon of cinamin (haha cant spell)
    2 scoops of orange powder (i believe its call thiamag or something)
    2 scoops of some white powder (i will find out 2nite)
    1 scoop of another powder (also will find thatg out)
    1 table spoon of both canola and linseed oil
    1 biscuit of soaked lucerne hay
    1/2 tablet (also will find out)

that was dinner now below is breakfast
    1 scoop of lucerne soaked
    2 scoops of soaked speedibeat
    biscuit of soaked lucerne hay
    other 1/2 of the tablet.