Crushed maize: what is there to know?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Katt13, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Katt13

Katt13 Well-known Member

Hey everyone,
    Just wondering if theres any specific information people can tell me about crushed maize my farrier told me it darkens the coat and my horsey's black so id like to keep it that way :p Does it provide much energy as my horse can get a bit hot and we compete in eventing! Just ask if you need any more info.
    thanks in advance :)
  2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Crushed maize is a very heating and poorly digested feed (unless it is micronised or extruded).:}

It is purely used as an energy source, not for coat colour.:p

There are plenty of specific coat care products around.**)
  3. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

it is the highest energy grain and yes, needs to be fed with other roughage etc and a small amount at the time, unless its micronised.

however if you read john koknke fact sheets he said it is a myth that corn is heating, in fact it dosnt cause any heating effects whatsoever like oats.
    i feed it to the racehorses in particular and especially one that i want to kinda fire up a bit and it makes no difference in that way whatsoever!!
  4. sleeknstylish

sleeknstylish Well-known Member

LOL HCF,

I also do not find that it heats any of my horses.

5. horsescomefirst

HAHA is there ANYTHING that fires and heats up the good ole S?B?? LOL :p
  6. Katt13

Katt13 Well-known Member

ahhahah very glad i asked!! i definately dont need any engery based feed!! Thankyou very much! My grandfather used to give it to his racehorses so i had a feeling it could be a little fishy :)*
    How about sunflower seeds???
  7. horsescomefirst

yep**) good for darkening coats and its only oil so no starch at all. excellent for the coat and contains heaps of vitmin e **)
  8. Katt13

Katt13 Well-known Member

Thankyou very much! :)*
  9. stef_lancey

stef_lancey New Member

hey there
    do you own mt robsinsons blacky? just thought id let you know he used to belong to me, i have some photo's and stuff of him if you'd ever like to see them! could fill you in on where he came from