Cross training

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Tam, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

How many of you believe that there are real benefits to be gained from cross training- in terms of cross training for both your horse and yourself? What kind of cross training do you do and why?

2. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

sorry i don't understand the topic. could you give me an example?

3. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Okay, for example if you have a dressage horse, cross training would be jumping, or as a rider, cross training might be jogging or even yoga etc. Hope that makes more sense OGM!!

4. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

For me I do Pilates, which I find helps with core stability and strength, and I have noticed a major difference in my position since I started doing this.

With all of my horses I do a bit of gymnastic jumping, nothing big, just gridwork to improve their paces (esp. canter) and keep them interested.

I found with my big dressage boy who I sold earlier this year he was particularly responsive to the jumping, and if I did that kind of work with him the week before a test (not every day, just once maybe twice) his work in the test would be noticeably more fluent and expressive in his canter.

p.

5. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

i suppose all my work is cross training. i don't have one set type of discipline that i train my horse for. we train for everything & anything. at the moment i am showing in western type events, but still practice all english type stuff. i don't really want my horse to be able to do only one thing well, more like i want her to be able to do lots of things OK, more a versatility horse. that way if i decide to do something different with her, she won't freak out & hopefully the training will stand up to any challenges.

i threw in some jumping the other day. LOL
    apparently when you jump the horse , you should have some collection in the reins & not be sitting like in a western pleasure class. someone told me after the jump. boy was that funny. lucky for me the horse has no idea that her rider is an idiot & that she can jump while on a loose rein......

for my exercises, i do lots of walking & stretching.