cross country

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Stephie, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Stephie

Stephie New Member

my horse is an ok jumper and i love show jumping but he is not very confident at cross country and also he really tries to bolt around the course and then stops suddenly at the jumps i think its because im only doing small (he likes big jumps) but im not confident enough to take him higher yet as i feel he would probably throw me by balking???? also my sisters horse hates coffins and ditches in x country and ideas how 2 help thanx

~*Steph*~

2. CJ

CJ New Member

Sounds like he has the ability to jump them but just lacks confidance.

Maybe he baulks cross country because he senses some hesitance from you. What about going to a cross country clinic or having lessons cross counrty with a good instructor so you can both get some confidance together.

CJ

3. Stephie

Stephie New Member

thanx
    but the problem is no one in my area really does x country and i only get 2 ride on wk ends because i gop to wkly boarding skool and the principal doesnt let me anywhere near horses so it sux and i cant practice plus i dont think i hesistate but knowing me im probs saying balk or die without knowing it lol any ideas how 2 fix?

~*Steph*~

4. CJ

CJ New Member

Have you got access to any cross country type jumps where you ride? Maybe you could make a couple. Some logs or something like that. Dig a ditch. Would be good for your sis to do on her horse. Get your horse going confidantly over these. It shouldn't matter how big they are. If your horse has the ability to jump bigger or not he should still be listening to you and go over them. Make them small to start so he can even just trot over them.

MAybe improving your flat work and his responsivness to you would also help.

CJ

5. Stephie

Stephie New Member

thanx id go try it now coz we got some logs but dont use them coz they small xcept its been raining so thats why im here and not out coz im also spose 2 be getting ready for a gymkhana thanx

PS got any spots 2 make up time in novelties lol cya

~*Steph*~