Critique my horse... honest opinions please

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Bethy, Nov 12, 2007.

1. samm

samm Gold Member

Ok heres my opinion and this is how I would judge this horse if he was presented before me.

Starting from the head.The eye could be set a little lower even though there
    appears to be good width between the eyes and the eyes are lovely and large and open..
    The ears a little long.The nostril placement and width is good.
    The gullet attachment to neck isnt bad and he's nice and fine through that area .
    The length of neck not too bad.Moving onto the shoulders ,I feel this horse is a little straight in the shoulder even though the neck set/ shoulder attachment reasonable.
    He does have reasonable depth of girth ,is nicely coupled and reasonably good hip to buttock length even though the tail set is a little low for my liking.
    Moving on to legs,I feel this horse is slightly tied in behind the knee on the off fore.
    His pastern axis is ok.from the bottom photo it looks like he might toe out slightly on the near fore but its a little hard to tell without a front on shot.
    Moving onto hind legs,he's a little weak through the thighs and gaskins and a little too straight through the hind legs.
    Overall though he's quite a nicely balanced horse.
    I would like to see a direct behind and in front shot to judge those areas.
    JMHO,dont hate me for it,you asked for an honest critique!!

2. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Hi Samm,
    Thanks for your very honest opinion, I really appreciate it.
    I completely agree with what you've said... especially the ears!!! He's not known as Eeyore for nothing!!! lol

What does 'tied in behind the knee' mean?

You're spot on there with the toe out on the near fore.

Honestly mate, thanks. You honest opinion is very much appreciated.

3. samm

samm Gold Member

Like I said all horses have good and bad points and when you judge its a process of going through each.You can never find a perfect horse.Even though you might consider my critique very critical its not actually.
    People who read it probably thing "oh she doesnt like that horse".Actually I do ,but on judging the photo I'm stating where his strengths and weakness's are in my opinion.
    When people show they fail to remember that at one show they may be up entirely different horses so they wonder why one week they've won and the next week they havent.A horse at one show may have worse points or better points in that judges opinion than another judge at a show a week later.What one judge may forgive another wont.

Tied in below the knee is where he cuts in just below at the back of the knee.Next time you see me at a show or out and about ask me to show you on a horse.
    Or I can mark it on the photo for you.Its easier than trying to explain it on here.

4. ALL4QHS

ALL4QHS New Member

About conformation I was at the Irish National Stud a few months back. And our guide said there is only threethings to look for in a horses conformation. They are they should have.
    1. The face of a model
    2. The arse of a cook
    3. The walk of a hooker:

5. Ltd Edition Madcow

Ltd Edition Madcow Well-known Member

I think he has a nice tail!:D LOL;)

ahhh but seriously......NO COMMENT!hehee:p

6. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Hey Samm,
    I thought that your critique was very even, you mentioned both his strengths and weaknesses which is exactly what I was after.
    I'm completely biased and I think he's a bit of a spunk but my lack of knowledge on conformation is a weakness of my own and it's something that I would like to improve, hense me putting pics of my ownhorse up for starters. Once I can see the strengths and weaknesses in my own horse then I can start to see them in others too.

I totally agree that no horse is perfect and it's all about knowing what you like in a horse, what faults you think are foregivable and what you can't live with.

Every judge is different and have things that they prefer to see in a horse etc. That's why I show, to get different opinions on my horse and to see how he compares against others on the day.

One judge may forgive a poor front end if the horse has a strong back end, others may prefer to see overall balance. Some may insist on a good length of rein while others don't mind if the horse is a bit long or a bit short in the neck as long as they have a good length of back... etc etc

7. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

ya piker Mad Cow!!! and he's got a falsie in!!! though... hang on a minute... i thought it was his bum that is supposed to be great?!?!!?!? lol

honestly mate, I'd really appreciate your honest opinion on him. What you see as his strengths and weaknesses.

8. sil

sil Gold Member

The straighter the hind leg (lack of angulation between the stifle and the hock) the less natural capacity the horse has to be able to get its leg right under its center of balance when moving. This is going to be most noticeable in canter when the ability to bend the joints of the back leg and rotate the pelvis down is reduced, making the landing point of the back leg in the canter stride more short and 'towards the back'.

The straightness of the hind leg coupled with a little bit slopey rump (like the pelvis is already a bit rotated down) reduces the movement and so you will get a tendency to a flat canter instead of a springy one.

I would say the lack of muscling in the gaskin is a side effect of this; horse not naturally flexing and engaging the hind legs = less muscle development.

Your horse has a lovely depth of loin though and there is no reason he cannot improve his movement with work but you would need to do this with a consideration to his natural conformation; what is easy for another horse will not come easily to him, and while he can improve, he should not be made to work outside his conformational ability - that is what leads to unsoundnesses.

Being camped under slightly in front simply means that he naturally stands with his fetlock a little behind the vertical. In the ideal leg you would plumb a line down the middle and the leg would line up at 90 degrees to the ground. It's only a small deviation. What this causes is that when your horse strides along (eg in trot) the leg will stay on the ground a bit deeper under the body, the fetlock will flex a bit more deeply before breakover (the point where the heel lifts back off the ground). It is a little more strain on the joint. It would be important to keep on top of his trims to ensure his toes are not long; this will be most comfortable for him :)

Keep in mind that there are varing degrees of both issues from mild to quite bad; your horse only has a little bit straightness behind and a little bit under in front, so it is not going to be much of an issue.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  9. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Hi Sil,

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain that for me, I really appreciate it.

That definately explains a few things, mainly why we're having the flat canter issues.

cheers

10. sil

sil Gold Member

You're welcome! He's a very handsome horse :)