Crib Stop?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Pockets, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Ok have now established that Crib Stop doesn't work with Giles!! Any other ideas??

2. 3ponies

3ponies Well-known Member

We put metal pipes along the top of our wooden yards. Chewing has never been a problem since. One of DH's better ideas **)

3. pso

pso Gold Member

yep, metal pipe works ..or a miracle collar... or electric fence...:)

4. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Don't really like collars although obviously if it started to affect his weight and condition I'd put one on! We have electric everywhere except for the gate into the backyard-it has pine posts so of course he found them!!

5. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Sump oil? I used to put a mix of sump oil and diesel on my fences.

6. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

I use one in a metal tin, name escapes me but it's like Stop Crib or something. It's pinky in colour and like a thick goo you paint it on. I had pine post problems with mine too but that stuff worked well.**)

Someone else at the stables put chicken wire around them.

7. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

My gelding is a crib biter and we've tried everything, we have electric stand offs which keep him off the fences and have wrapped chicken wire around the top of the pine posts that he can still reach. I tried the miracle collar for about 5 minutes but thought it was horrible, more like a torture device and I don't like the nutcracker ones either.

Long story short, he found a tree and crib bites on that now and I'm happy for him to do it if he needs to. He doesn't drop condition and is certainly much happier with something to crib bite on. I would rather work on the "why" he does it, seems to be a security thing with him (was an orphan foal and was already crib biting as a yearling). We are getting there gradually and he is doing it less but I think he will always do it to some degree, I've accepted that it's just the way he is. :)

Oh and he lurves the taste of crib stop, sump oil and all the other "revolting" things I've painted on that he wasn't supposed to like. :D

8. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Hiya Wendy I just found this post too about Giles. Aww cribbing is such a sad thing. It upsets me when i think about what drives a horse to begin this habit, its right up there with weaving as terrible vices created by people's lack of understanding of what horses need.

I would have to agree with Rem and perhaps try and electrify everything, but definately look to see if anything in particular triggers it. In my limited experience with cribbers it becomes like a drug addiction, something they cannot live without. Maybe like Rem's horse he will eventually do it less when he feels he can let go of it and is more fulfilled in other facets of his life. Also, seeing as he has much weight to gain, ad-lib hay or a hayroll? or does the food factor not stop it? Sorry not much help really am i!?

9. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

I started him on Gastro-coat about 5 days ago and haven't seen him cribbing since Thursday so maybe it actually works!! He has a hayroll but was mostly doing it after his hard feed-which thanks to a previous post of Carolines I have changed. Maybe a combination of both but he's doesn't seem as interested in cribbing,although he's pretty grumpy ATM-withdrawal symptoms maybe!! Or maybe he just had a big tummy ache I guess time will tell!!

10. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

sump oil works very well.
    good luck **)