Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by dakota95, Jun 11, 2012.

1. dakota95

dakota95 Active Member

Can anyone give me info on cremellos?
    Do they get as dirty as Greys?
    Are they prone to sunburn?
    Do they get greasy heel moreso than other horses? (I had a horse with 4 white socks and he used to get it from sunburn in summer! Drove me batty)
  2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Had a Cremello stallion, he went thru summer unrugged & never noticed him burning.
    However my Pintos, or ponies with lots of white on their noses burnt.
    My Perlino mare doesn't burn either.

Any horse can get as dirty as the next, just lighter colours show up more dirt/mud LOL.
  3. dakota95

dakota95 Active Member

Thats strange,
    Ive had two horses with white noses and both have had to have extended nose flyveils as they burned to a crisp.

The dirt thing is funny as I read on the internet a few people claiming their cremellos kept clean as they had a different sort of smooth coat?? Thought it was BS. hehehe
  4. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

They don't get dirtier, you just see it more and because they have pink skin you can't get away with a half hearted wash job either.....

Even tho they have pink skin it still has pigment - it's just diluted. This pigment helps prevent them burning in the sun. The pink skin under white markings on the other hand doesn't have pigment so it burns.

Ditto for greasy heel.
  5. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

They forgot to tell Allie that then .............. ';'

6. mineees

mineees Gold Member

well Tintara no one told my perlino either...:)

7. mineees

mineees Gold Member

8. myalla

myalla New Member

I have a perlino, she gets as dirty as my other horses, but she dosent seem to get a thick coat like my other horses. she never gets sunburnt but has a sheet on through summer just the same as my bay, and Buckskin and wears a flyveil in summer, same with the greasy heel, never had it.

i love my Perlino even if it's a bit more work when showing her to get her looking good but well worth it.

Hope this helps :)
  9. Dakota:D
    Double dilutes don't get sunburnt which is a bonus**)
    You should know though that their vision is not as good as solid coloured horses.
  10. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

I find them very hardy horses

mine have never been sunburnt or had greasy heel ... while under the same conditions the chestnuts with chrome have

the washing part is a bugger.. definately no quicky washes :(

my favorite dirty boy ... i do find in summer he stays pretty clean looking but when you pat him he is filthy underneath... his coat has a real pearl iridescent quality

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  11. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

LOL What a grot ! ^^^
  12. samm

samm Gold Member

Romeo is perlino and occasionally gets a sunburnt nose,probably for the fact he has a white blaze.

As for grottiness,yes he's a grotty horse and take a lot of washing to get him sparkly clean.
    Haven't had any greasy heel problems and he has very tough feet.

A grotty,sweaty Romeo in training

and a lovely clean Romeo in performance.

We also have Lily who is cremello not perlino.
    She's pink at the moment as the dye from her rug has run and turned her pink!lol
  13. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Do we have a reference for this, or is it personal observation?
    Angel is cremello/perlino (I am no colour expert!) but I have never had reason to suspect her vision is not as good as the others. She wears a fly veil ALL summer even when ridden (she seems to be quite sun sensitive and squints a lot, plus I worry about squamous cell carcinoma with the pink eyelids) and even with that on she does jumping, games etc without any problems.
  14. Diana

Diana Gold Member

If anything I wonder if the idea that blue eyes have lessened vision is mainly when it's bright? I find that I'll be squinting (I have blue eyes) at something and my OH will be fine and he has brown eyes. My dad's the same as me - has blue eyes and squints more than mum, who has brown eyes.
    My sister has dark blue eyes though and doesn't have any troubles ';'
    Just a thought :)*
    Could just be that the lighter eyes have trouble with glare from the sun?
  15. I think you are right Diana, we have noticed that our double dilutes aren't very confident in new paddocks especially in summer when the sun is high.
    They are VERY careful and slow around unfamiliar fences and objects.
    As to toughness, they are tougher than single dilutes and many solid colored horses. All ours were very good doers and had the great tough feet.
  16. HarleyQH

HarleyQH Well-known Member

We have two double dilutes here and both don't burn, both roll in the mud and are dirty looking monkeys atm, but so is the bucky, pally and chestnut that is in with them. Luckily the mud is light grey so doesn't make them look like a bay but they do look like greys lol Vision is an issue in hight of summer they squint a lot from the glare but never had an issue with them bumping into things or anything too adverse.