Crazy canter

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Tam, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Kobie is still having problems in the canter : ( Last couple of daays he has again started to do funny little back leg things, backing off the bit at the same time. In theory I know to push him forward through the resistance but there is 600 kilos of horse saying- i don't wanna. I actually watched a video of us at adult riding club and he only did this funny leg thing once- i watched it in slow motion tonight and it appears as though literally a second before he does it he goes disunited. He is much worse on the right rein and i know he finds it hard to maintain the correct flexion and bend going this way. I feel like his inside hind is not engaging properly so am going to go back to leg yielding before asking for the canter (especially right) but was wondering if you had any ideas? he has always been a little weak in his hinquarters but has become much better after alot of lessons and the right kind of work- maybe that weakness is still there? In all other respects his work is improving greatly, he even did his first proper steps of traver at the walk yesterday!! (i was very excited!!) What are your thoughts?

2. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

have you had a chiropractor to him? a friend of ours had a mare that constantly disunited on one rein she thought the horse was unbalanced but got the chiropractor to her and her hip was out, after that she had no problems in the canter.
    it might not be kobies problem but sometimes its worth it to have them checked.

3. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

as Sassy has said, a chiro might be a good idea. if not then at least you have eliminated something & had your horse checked out.

4. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

does he do it on the lunge??? with a saddle/without a saddle on the lunge?
    i'd get a chiro/physio to look at him, but i'd also have a look on the lunge - if he's fine there then it may be something to do with your saddle fit, or you may be crooked in the saddle.
    good luck with it.
    p.

5. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

Hiya Tam (long sorry!!!)

Did you have this prob a few weeks ago?? I vaguely remember someone having a similar problem? I'm going thru something similar on and off with the YDB at the moment in canter right!! (must be some kind of fashion statement their making!)

I assume he strikes off correctly and then after a few canter strides (or even a few circles) the kicking an disuniting starts. Firstly as others have sugested ensure that his back and saddle etc are all ok (again... I think you have done this!)

Make sure that you remain in position right during the canter and try not to let him make you sit to the left. Easier said than done I know... Try leading him around the circle using an open inside rein. This will "show him the way" and also prevent you from crossing your inside hand over the horse's wither.

Make sure that you keep the canter really forward... when he disunites.. go more forward and let him sort himself out. He should change back to the right behind.. but if he doesn't or changes in front bring him back to trot and ask for canter again.

Try in canter turning down the 3/4 line and leg yeilding to the long side. When cantering down the longside take an attitude towards shoulder in or shoulder fore.

Quite often I find that I get really obsessed with having my horse into the outside rein that I hang on too much with it...and the horse can't really flex to the inside.

Just a few ideas... let me know how your getting on later.

Cheers

6. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Thanks denny, that could really help. As you said I have had his back and saddle checked countless times as I know this has been a problem in the past. And yes Denny, he does strike off correctly- which is strange because that used to be where our problems lied- and then unfortunately, it goes bad from there. I use a fair bit of opening inside hand as I know he finds it quite difficult to bend to the right. He doesn't actually canter disunited- the only way i recognised this was by watching the video (of us at ARC when you saw us Denny) in slow motion and he goes disunited for literally a millisecond before kicking out and falling back to trot. The leg yielding you suggested Denny should help as i think the biggest thing is to encourage his inside hind to take more weight and engage better. On the video there doesn't seem to be enough push from behind. On the forward issue, the more i try to push him forward with strong leg aids, the more he lays his ears back and backs off the bit, spurs or using the whip will only make him buck. This is incredibly frustrating- its hard not to get bogged down by it when all his other work is going so amazingly well and if his canter could come together, we could start being really confident in doing well out hacking and dressage.

7. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Okay i got my friend/ instructor to watch me and kobie canter today and- as she usually does- she saw the problem and gave the solution!!!! When K had a crap trot, we did lots of variation within the trot- extend for half a circle come back, slow down speed up etc etc. So that is exactly what we have to do now at the canter. Eva said to go into three point when asking for him to go really really forward and then sit up when he comes back to his normal canter. Well it worked like a charm (we did the leg yielding as well to engage that inside hind) and the real problem was that he is a little afraid of going forward at the canter- probably because i always used to want a slower canter or pulled his mouth in canter etc- this is pre-many lessons- so he needed to be shown that its okay (more than okay, its GREAT) to go really forward at canter. He was still alittle sticky on the right rein but for the first time in ages I actually felt a push from his hindquarters!!!!

8. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

YAY for you and Kobie Tam!!!!!!

that's such a great feeling when it all clicks hey???? [​IMG]

p.

9. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Thanks taylor! It seems like such a simple thing to do- to vary the pace- and i'm sure some of you are going to be saying well der! But sometimes eyes on the ground have much better judgement than the one in the saddle as they can really see whats going on. Its like some of the problems we were having today with shoulder in, because I have never ridden a great shoulder in, sometimes i don't know whats great and whats not and need someone to tell me. So i am learning at the same time as kobie, which is hard cos i know he can do things and its usually me that stuffs things up or makes them harder for him to learn. But yeah, the push from the hindquarters felt great. Once we have this canter sorted, we are going to have so much fun hacking. He did really well (hacking) when he behaved like an idiot so i can't wait to see how he'll do when he behaves himself!!

10. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

hehe see you out there in the hack ring!

p.