cracked/greasy heel

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by horsescomefirst, Sep 18, 2010.

1. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

i have a sb mare that i have had for 3 years. she CONSTANTLY has cracked or greasy heel 24/7/365. the only time she didnt have it was on her 3 month spell. it just looks like flaky skin peeling off on all heels, no scabs or open wounds but it gets worse and worse. its also very tender to touch there, she dosnt like it 1 bit. i have used EVERYTHING possible with no luck. im not sure what causes it, i hae changed feeds so many times in those 3 years and supplements etc and no change. Im so over it and not sure what it is and how to get rid of it:(

2. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

Obviously keeping the heels dry expecially though winter is a must. I dont have a theory for greasy heel through the dry seasons. Do you treat her all year round? There is endless stuff you can get perscribed from the vet etc dermapred, mastalone. A guy I use to work for mixed sulphur and parafin oil together. Within 3 days the greasy heel starts to clear up.

If its cracked heels im not sure. Maybe something to do with feet and shoeing perhaps

3. horsescomefirst

i treat her all year round. she races and it dosnt matter wether its summer or winter, constantly there. i recon its something to do with shoes or something shes eating. when she spelled for 3 months it cleared up. tried all that stuff. tried sulphur, no good. its only her, dont have this problem with any of my others, must be alergic to the shoes or something!!!';'

4. Leti loves Elmo

What does your farrier say about it? Bad shoeing can result in cracked heels sometimes when over shoed like shoes to far around the back of the heel and it can put to much pressure and split. I have seen it before and with farrier change solved the problems.

5. horsescomefirst

wow! farrier keeps telling me it must be something im feeding. she gets new shoes every 2-3 weks max cos they were out fast. he does a pretty good job shoeing tho so not sure whats causing it-its really pissing me off!! just been googling barefoot trimming and thinking of giving the shoes the goodbye all together and see if that works!! but its obviously sore to touch that area so she must be in a bit of pain:(

6. kp

kp Well-known Member

Have you got photos?

7. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

Any intramammory products will heal the problem for a little while but then it will come back....the best product to use is Prednoderm, it actually has many antibiotics in it for these types of problems!

8. horsescomefirst

is that the green stuff from vets? that dosnt work and the vet told me its because its a very old products and over time the horses have become imune to it.

It looks like cracked heels but i keep baby zinc cream on it which dosnt help either.
    I can take pics but not sure how to upload them on here?? please tell me how:))

9. kp

kp Well-known Member

I don't know how to post photos either. So can't help you there.

Greasy heel can be a real bugger to treat with some horses. With my horses I clip out the excess hair inside the pastern. Leaving 'downpipe' at the back of the fetlock. The area is scrubbed once a day with betadine solution, solution is left on for 5-10 min before rinsing of. Dry with a towel. Apply ampiclox (get it from your vet), cover area with guaze squares and bandage on. Repeat daily. The infection is usually gone in 5 days. For horses that have on-going problems I keep hair short in pasterns, which usually means clipping out around once a month. The legs a dried after work everyday. And usually the area is scrubbed once a week with betadine solution.

Does the horse wear bell boots when in work?

10. glittabug

glittabug New Member

Hi. I have been treating my pony for greasy heel with every product known to man. I have had a variety of ointments, creams etc from my Vet and nothing seemed to work; if anything the condition began to worsen. He has recently had a biopsy taken. Although the condition presented as 'greasy heel', it most certainly was something else. I am awaiting the biopsy results but the feeling is that this has a UV sensitivity componenet and that the hair follicles have had a reaction when I have clipped the white socks. According to the research I have done, over 40 per cent of horses that present with greasy hell, have another condition. I just wish I had known this before a spent a fortune on the creams, lotions etc! This may be of help to you before you too go spending up big!!! :)

11. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

If it cleared up while on spell, then i think there's only a handful of reasons i can think of as to what's causing it.
    1) Shoeing. Try a different farrier for a while.

2) Feed. While on spell, she probably just had paddock grazing, or hay? Meaning, she is sensitive to something in her current feed. It could be anything, and it will be a process of trial and error as to what you add that sets it off. I would take her off everything apart from paddock grazing and hay if there's not enough feed in the paddock.
    If it clears up, you'll know it was feed related. Then slowly start adding a hard feed. Start with chaff. Just chaff on it's own. Keep her on it for a couple weeks. If ok, then add lucerne chaff. Again, don't change anything else. If ok, add in whatever pellets or grain or whatever you were using. Add one thing at a time, and if she breaks out again, you'll know what did it.
    But don't stop there. I would go through everything you are feeding, one thing at a time, because she may be reacting to more than one.

3) Enviroment. Allergic reaction to something where she is. Again, it's a process of trial and error. It may be in her paddock, a grass, or a weed. It may be the shavings in her stabled.

That's really all i can think of that would have cleared up while on spell. I would start with feed and go from there.

12. horsescomefirst

she used to wear them only on back feet and thats when it started, never on front feet but its the front feet that are worse!!

13. horsescomefirst

wow! i didnt know you could have biopsys taken. i know its something else than greasy heel cos she has it for the whole year shes in training regardless of seasons and dosnt get better. she races with it cos i cant clear it up, although it probably bothers her. could you please tell me the results of your biopsy and how much it costs and what it involves so i can get 1 plz?:))

14. horsescomefirst

she is never stabled, only paddocked.i thought it was soil type as she was agisted on a gravel base and now we have been in our own house for about a month and its clay and no change. shes ready to race so i cant stop feeding her but last prep i changed her diet that musch to try new products etc and that didnt work either. im beggining to think shes sensitive/allergic to something:(

15. Leti loves Elmo

Thats what dermapred is. A lot of people just call it the other way round. Vets at my work are still prescribing it for the horses that mess up their heels from over reaching. not just wounds but for bald and scabbing heels for either greasy heel or similar. I dont have a problem with it and I witness it work

16. horsescomefirst

well i have tried that without any luck:(
    i just wanna know what it is. its bald and very flaky but red cuts are starting to appear, i even found 1 on her fetlock and slight swelling in bottom of leg cas the infetion must be travelling. Im so over it

17. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

chips biopsies/cultures and bloods cost me just over $800 ( oh and that inc 1st lot of antibiotics) the bloods showed hightened levels in what ever it is that shows allergies, but the cultures showed was bacterial, we had a month of antibiotics specific to the 2 bacterias and it still didnt clear up, would flare up every few days, we took him off everything but grass paddock and meadow hay, it improved 98%... its still scaley for the half inch above his coronets and round heels... but i added in 1st off wheaten chaff - they started bleeding within days! back to basics till cleared up and then i tried speedibeet - they broke out again so we are back to basics again!
    I have no idea where to go from here! many people said chips was greasy heel in the beginning, but its been going on 6 months now.
    does your mare seem sensitive in any other ways? chips chestnuts bleed too, and the vet nurse pinched his neck while he was have biopsy done and just where shed held him for 1 minute it came up in big lumps!
    how they were b4 antibiotics
    [​IMG]
    cant find pics of the biopsies done, but here is it looking at its best ..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  18. horsescomefirst

yeah, mine looks similar but its not on the foot. about where your thumb is in the first pic from under fetlock right o the coronet band, right in the hollows of the bottoms of legs. its dry, flaky and now getting the red scabs like te 1 in your pic. i noticed your horse has white feet and thats supposed to be worse but my mare is bay!! wow-so its obviously diet. just thinking it wasnt as bad when not feeding chaff at all and now i feed wheaten chaff its really bad. geez-shes racing in 2 weeks

19. glittabug

glittabug New Member

Hi. I have not yet had the bill for the biopsy that was taken and am still waiting for the results to come through. I read a very nteresting article by Peter Waller B.App.Sc. Hons regarding greasy heel and other conditions that 'present' as greasy heel. If you are interested you can find it here;
    www.compleatfeed.com
    I have spoken with my own Vet and Vets at Murdoch about my own situation. Here is one possibility; when scrubbing the affected area, I have opened up the scab and allowed an infection to get in. This results in swelling which is successfully treated with an antibiotic, but the hair follicles have already been irritated which add to the trauma around the greasy heel and it then becomes difficult to know what is greasy heel and what is not! I have been following the regime given to me by Murdoch and the improvement is nothing short of miraculous! If your horse has had this condition for a while I would urge you to get proactive. Unless you know exactly what you are dealing with, you could be spending a lot of money on inappropriate treatments.
    This is just my opinion. I hope all goes well. if I knew how to post pics on here...I would!! I'm just not that technical!! :eek:

20. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

Agree with Glitterbug, you need to diagnose before treating with this.

While Debonair has had an allergic reaction diagnosed in her horse mine had auto immune disease. Photos look the same and mine too started off looking like greasy heel right in the hollows of the pastern.

Also some of these treatments can swap if you're racing...........