Could I be risking my horses health?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Naomi, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

I have a 14yo Standardbred. He had a long, successive racing career but as far as i know he's always been well looked after. He's very happy with humans so i can only assume this. I ride him 2-3 times a week (full time work sucks) and when we go for a ride, we do have fun. walk trot canter and sometimes gallop. I'm not stupid, i know horses will run themselves into the ground so i never push him too much.

We lost one of our 18yo TB's to a heart attack the other week, he had just been cantering through heavy sand. This made he wonder if i should slow my horse down a bit. I trust my judgement and i know 14 isnt very old but i'd hate to think im pushing him too far, what do you think?

2. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

if you feel that he is comfortable with the work you are giving him then i wouldnt change it or lighten it, he is obviously coping fine so i wouldnt worry. there are general signs to look out for when a horse is beginning to get worn out or ''old'', like losing condition, but if he is still healthy looking and eating well then i would think he was fine.

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Naomi it wasn't a heart attack it was a brain anurism...

~§Arnie§~

4. crave

crave Well-known Member

14 is the prime of a horses life! If he is fit and healthy there is nothing to worry about.

crave

5. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

what is a brain anurism anyways? I heard he had heart problems, it does make sense.

Well it's good to know you guys think he's okay. He is the picture of health. As far as I know he's always been looked after.

This other horse was in worse condition and he was an 18 yo TB. Anybody else share the theory that TB's seem to have a shorter life span, or a less robust body? Could it be because of the hard work associated with racing? Early breaking in? Don't really know, just thinking out loud. NO OFFENCE TO TB OWNERS! =)

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Brain anurism is some saught of growth in the head. Basically it bursted and nerve or sumfin in his head and as soon as one of them blow what ever saught of brain its in (2 legged or 4) you die within 1-2 min or less. The rides Max had didn't harm him...it was growing anyway and he would of layed down in his paddock that week and passed away. The only reason why he died on the ride was going a lil faster sped up the process. Only by a couple of hours. Its not the ride that killed him it was going to happen anyway. Seeing it was a nerve he didn't feel anything which was a releaf to me. If Josh wants to go and I say let him! While he's still able to move make the most of it! lol not too much...enjoy your time with him and it could be for so many many more years he could go 2mor...he could go when he's 30 we'll never no!...

RIP *MAX*...

~§Arnie§~

7. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

I dont think TB's have a shorter life span, it all depends on the individual horse and how they have been looked after. Alot of TB's are not looked after very well and thats might be why it seems they die younger. They are bred to be lean (or less robust) as they are bred to be fast and athletic, fat horses dont run so fast! there are still heavy TB's, just not as many. Also alot of TB's break down early in there career (generally racing) mainly because when they are young they are fed up so they will grow fast (often too fast) and they are broken as 2yr olds, sometimes younger, and worked hard, sometimes the muscles arent fully developed when they are worked so hard and alot of them have tendon problems, or splints etc. it all depends on the upbringing they have had, its amazing how what happens when they are young can affect them in the later years of their life.