Coughing horse - Allergic to dust

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by horseygal44, Nov 9, 2007.

1. horseygal44

horseygal44 Well-known Member

This is for a friend...

Her horse is continuously coughing when she is ridden because of the dust that gets in her lungs from getting kicked up. Does anyone know of any ways to stop the coughing or make it not as bad? She's not sick...More of an allergy. Friend doesn't think she has asthma but she's had her for about a month.

2. samm

samm Gold Member

She really needs to get the horse scoped.
    A had a horse a while back that had an allergy to dust pollens and the scope proved he had an abcess developing on the back of his throat from it.
    A course of antibiotics and dampening all feed etc helped clear it.
    The way I noticed it was his whinny had changed.People thought I was nuts but proves if you know your horse you know when something isnt quite right.
    I'd be getting a scope for sure.

3. horseygal44

horseygal44 Well-known Member

Thanks! She's gonna have to take her to the vet to get it checked out then. :D If she has time... (She's a boarder like me)

4. kp

kp Well-known Member

You are best to speak to a vet as most of things that help most can only be obtained from a vet. However, dampening down the enviroment as much as possible may help. This means her stable, feed, where the horse works. A course of antibiotics and clenbuterol often does the trick with these horses, assuming there isn't another underlying issue.

5. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

If you know the dust is the problem, then fix the cause! Hose or sprinkler down her work area, stable, yard and perhaps hay if dusty, and give her only damp hard feeds.

Why is she still persisting in riding her if she is coughing like that??? It can lead to lung damage!

If in doubt, get a vet consult.

Tis commensense all this.