"Cotton" Rugs And Static Electricity

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Northern Peregrine, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

I've just bought a bunch of Reasonably Priced summer rugs. Problem is I went to take them off the horses this morning and they are generating a lot of static electricity...I don't remember my old rugs doing this so much, if at all. My poor young fella in particular got a fright with about ten shocks off his rug ( before I realized they were going to do this)..as I pulled it off . It's hard to lift it straight up and off him to minimize it as although I am tall he is much taller than me. Managed to get them off the other boys carefully but still generated a fair bit of static. I don't want the youngster, in particular, to get some sort of rug phobia because of this. I'm figuring I could probably buy some anti-static stuff but is there a home remedy for this? Maybe I just shouldn't buy Reasonably Priced "cotton" rugs in future. :eek:

2. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Carry a spray bottle with you when you go to take the rugs off and spray a bit of water on the rug first. If he doesn't like spray bottles, unrug him by his water trough and just flick (or dribble) a little bit of water on his rug first.

3. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

I have this problem too. I have found that if I'm wearing sneakers it lessens the static and also I try to remember to touch the ground with my hand just before I take the rug off. this lessens the static but does not get rid of it completely.

4. Omega Conquest

Omega Conquest Well-known Member

I have found if you keep one hand on the horse while you slide the rug off, you dont get much static. Used to scare the **** out of Baldy when i took them off in summer time but doing this it was much better :)

5. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

I hate it! My horse is quite rug phobic now because of it so I fold the rug into the middle of his body and then take it off. Sucks! :mad:

6. Rosinante

Rosinante Active Member

Would wearing gloves help? :)

7. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

This is exactly why my horse is in Skye Park "cottons". They have the highest cotton percentage I could find.

When I got her I could tie her up to twine no problem. Never pulled back. One day she got a huge shock off her rug as I was taking it off, pulled back violently, snapped the twine and took off. Took me ages to get her to tie reliably again.

8. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

9. crave

crave Well-known Member

Wash your rugs with fabric softner, works a treat :)

10. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

I'm with Crave! **)

I always put some fabric conditioner in with my cottons - never had a problem with static. And the rugs smell nice too! lol