Cost per horse

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by cobbie, Mar 30, 2010.

1. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

when i have finished paying for zeus he will be costing me about $135. that is for 1 bag of wheat chaff 1 bag of horse musile 1 bag of horse cubes and 7 bales of hay :) possibly more well yes more but this is roughly :)

2. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

provided they have something to eat... have to get that 14kg or so a day from somewhere! I have seen horses in bare paddocks licking the dirt... round bellies doesnt = good condition!

3. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

Weekly for the 4 horses (3 in work, 1 retired, all TBs over 16hh). Only 2 get any hard feed as the other 2 are FAT FAT FAT. 18hh Mare is Fat on 4 biscuits of hay per day.

14 bales of hay @$8.50 ea = $119
    1/2 bag rough cut chaff @ $20 per bag = $10
    1/2 bag Coolmax @$25 per bag = $12.5
    1/2 bag Pony Cubes @15 per bag = $7.5

Total = $150
    Each horse = $37 per week.

If anything is looking light on they get rolled barley added in to their evening hard feed.

They have 24/7 access to reticulated kike paddocks but I need to start putting them away for nights as I now have the same amount of horses as paddocks so can't spell paddocks.

4. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Eat a round bale a week so $95.00 for 2 horses and one shetland who gets mostly to sniff the hay.

5. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Heifer, I use a bale in a week. Anyone who has met Poppy will tell you that she is in great condition. she is chomping away in a paddock all day. If I gave her more then a biscuit morning and night she would explode. *#)

6. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

it depends on your pasture also!

I feed lots of hay because, even when it's green up here, there's nothing nutritious in the grass.

I am moving my 2 year old to spelling agistment down south soon, she certainly won't need to be fed anything else as the ground feed is awesome even in summer. And Jings is being moved in a month or so, she won't get hay anymore as the grazing is good enough all year round, she will still get a hard feed twice a day. According to feed xl this is absolutely fine **)

7. My horse is on full board at $110 a week

He gets
    oaten chaff
    lucerne chaff
    Speedi Beet
    Liberty
    Equilibrium
    Canola Meal
    Lotsss of carrots!!!
    and hay 3 times a day :)

i think i am very lucky with what i pay ;)

8. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Really?? where abouts?

9. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

lol pso - I tried the costing option and really wish I hadn't!

Troppo, it is available to people who have been subscribers for more than 12 months. When you go on to the login page, it gives you the option to switch to the new edition and then the rest is self-explanatory ;)

10. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

aaaa found it!!!

$4.40 a day for one of mine so far - probably about the same for the other. That is until their workload increases and my paddocks start to look a bit barer!

11. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

i like the new feedcost option :)) Saves me having to calculate it on my XL spreadsheet when doing comparisons.

12. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

Yes, but spreadsheets allow you to "play" and make numbers look better (I'm great at doing budgets when I need to show that I can afford something :D )

13. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

LOL me too! hahaha

14. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

My guy is in Full bourd

He has a hay roll in the paddock atm (but not really touching it) useally lasts him 3 weeks though at $60 a roll of meadow so $20 a week

Wheatin chaff half bag a week at $25 a bag so $12.50

Lucerne 1/4 of bag a week at $25 a bag so $6.25 approx

Micro lupins lasts about a month at $25 a bag so $6.25

Micro barley lasts same about a month at $25 so $6.25

Livermeol i get 1kg at a time lasts about 10 days at $16 a kilo so about $14? a week

speedi-beet lasts about a month as well at about $42 a bag so $10.50

cool-max about a month as well at about $25 aswell so $6.25

Plus cant forget the mollases at $10 for 5L lasts about a month so $2.50

Also cost for full bourd that includes hay for evening in the stable, rug changes etc at $77 a week.

Total a week i spend on my spoilt pony is $161.50 scary you never think you spend THAT much :(

15. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

Hey Moonlight,

Im interested is your boy a big TB?? or a pony type???

I just cant get my head around how agistment centres make any money??? if they have a horse like yours on agistment charging at least $150 - $170pw and feeding what your feeding the cost alone of the feed.

Which leaves them with about $70 left over which is $10 per day for handling, water, bedding, use of facilities etc and that doesnt even allow the cost of paying stable hands.

For you who do actually run agistment as a income - i would be very interested to know how you do it???

Cheers :)

16. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

I guess the agistment owners would hope that they have a few horses that are good doers to balance everything out.

Which is why I wouldn't go full or part board where meals are included. Since my horse costs next to nothing to feed it would be a waste of money to pay for a menu that she wouldn't ever use.

17. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

Hey scorpio,
    My boy is big t/b.
    IM in dardanup though not Perth so its WAY cheaper here to agist :)
    And trust me im loving the $77 a week full bourd! :))

18. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Thought I would figure out how much Bess will cost me a week
    About 3 bales of hay a week $15
    And.. i worked hardfeed out to be about $20 a week..
    Shes a very good doer and has a nice green grassy paddock and she will also be regulary put out for a few days into a big spelling paddock with plenty of feed.

19. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I would hope/think that agistment centres would be purchasing farmer-direct? The savings are HUGE :D **)

20. PaintHorse

PaintHorse New Member

My guys are pretty average-

The TB Gelding and TB mare are in light work (dressage & a bit of show jumping, + 2 days hacking out)
    They get 2 kg Sweetbulk, 1 kg chaff, a handful of T & R Grower and weaner, + salt and magnesium (we are deficient here)
    The old paint (25) gets 1 kg chaff, 2 kg grower & weaner + $1.50/ day pergolide & $0.50 of bute & ventipulmin daily
    All horses get 1/2 c canola oil (about $7.50/week), and split 7 bales of export oaten between them, all up, about $120/week for the 3 of them
    It actually worked out cheaper to feed small bales of export hay then to buy oaten rounds, as there is alot less waste.