Cost per horse

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by cobbie, Mar 30, 2010.

1. pso

pso Gold Member

Feedxl now has a costing option ;)

scary :eek:

mine is $12/day (for one)

2. aliasmel

aliasmel New Member

I have 3 horses,two minis and one t/b
    My minis could live off the smell of a chaff bag,if I didnt lock them up of a night they wouldnt need feed.

the t/b does very well on little to no feed,infact he just come back from two years on mainly grass (getting hay in winter) and he is in good condtion.

I go thru
    1X bag of non heating stud mix
    1Xbag of lucerne cubes a ft night.

thats $50 a ft night to feed the three.

I might have to get some hay soon as my t/b's paddock is going to dirt and that will be about $13 a bale and will probably use one a week

3. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

one bale of hay a week is not much hay!!!!

4. pso

pso Gold Member

LOL- I use one bale of hay a day!!!!! (between 3)

5. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

yeh when i was feeding bales i went through 1.5 bales a day betwee 3

6. My TB's (my own and rescues) average around half a round bale a week each, on it 24/7.

Thoroughbreds need a LOT of hay, one measly little bale will not be enough in a week. You'd be looking at feeding at least half a bale a day if you aren't hardfeeding (or only hardfeeding a tiny bit)!

7. aliasmel

aliasmel New Member

One bale of hay is plenty for this horse.
    One bale of hay lasts a week,Usually get 7 biscuits from the bale.
    He gets hard fed morn/night and gets a lunge 15 mins a day.

the minis dont get any hay cause they are in a grassed paddock and fat enough.

this horse is a good doer,one bale of hay a day he would explode.
    Prior to me owning him he lived in a tiny dirt yard on one biscuit a day and that was it and he was fat.

I also have half his paddock fenced off so the grass can grow too.which has been fenced off for a month now and I will be letting him in that half soon and resting the half he is in now.

8. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

my horse's daily feed requirements (as per feedXL) is 13.2kg. Average slice of hay weighs how much? 2kg max? So horse still has another 11.2kg to find somewhere. This is for a 15.3hh WB gelding, but cant see TB being too different.

9. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

I have 2 TB's that get through a round bale of hay every 2 weeks. That's $17.50 a week.
    2 ponies don't get hay and are both as fat as lords. 1 arab and 1 welshie. The welshie is a fatty boombah.

They all get a teeny weeny hard feed once a day of oaten chaff, pony maintanance cubes and vit/min supplements, 1 tb and 1 pony on celery seed aswell. So that's $14.60 per pony and $29.30 for the horses.

So.... TB's cost me $46.80 a week and the ponies $14.60 a week.

Hopefully the harvey grass willl start coming through soon and so hard feeds can be reduced and mineral block put in the paddocks instead. Also then the hay will be reduced accordingly. i think I'll feed squares then so there'll be less waste.

10. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

There is NO way Im working out how much my 2 cost me in feed...LOL

But my 2 go through a bale of hay a day between them....and then get their hard feeds as well

11. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

My two are on hay rolls that last 3-4 wks, a bag of lucerne that last 4 - 6 wks, and stud master which also last 4 - 6 wks.

$30 - $50 per month Hay
    $5 lucerne
    $2 -$5 pellets...
    $2 Vitamins per month

The horses are on hay 24/7...when Winnie gets worked he gets a feed = a scoop of lucerne and a scoop of pellets.
    Don get half a scoop of pellets and half a scoop of lucerne when hes not on the hay roll, or a bit of chaff with vitamins...he is retired so he is "maintenance" fed and Winnie is on a "work" feed program.
    This is a summer feed, over winter I will have to keep an eye on their weight as its the first year I have had Winnie on pasture 24/7. He may not need alot just a vitamin...

12. sil

sil Gold Member

We feed out 2 1/2 to 3 bales a day to 8 horses plus the mini and foal.
    The bales are about 25kg each.

13. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Ooops - sorry that should read fortnight :eek: I guess that is marginally better.

14. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

I'm too scared to work it out as well-but with the 2 skinny mini rescues ATM and my 3 I'm going through 2 round bales a week, thats $150 each week before the hard feed and supplements, so I REALLY don't want to know!!

15. aliasmel

aliasmel New Member

Round bales seem like a normal thing over there...Here in NSW hardly anyone uses them at all.
    I wonder why?

16. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Poppy
    Hight: She's probably 15hh now.
    Breed: Waler
    Work: Trail rides mainly.

1 x Biscuit of Hay morning and night.
    night hard feed of
    1 dipper of chaff
    100gms if that of show torque

I go through about 1 bag of chaff every 3 months. or there abouts. So I would say that she costs me per week about $10 or $15 in feed.

17. Court Eagle

Court Eagle Well-known Member

My 6yo stb in light work costs about $12 in hard feed, and $22 in hay per week, so $34 in total.
    Hay bales are directly from a farmer and are quite heavy, they get 3-4 biscuits per day and are on 5acres excellent reticulated pasture 11hours a day.

18. aliasmel

aliasmel New Member

for those who think my horse is not being fed enough...these photos from today... call the rspca cause hes so skinny lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

its not about weight, its about gut function, mental health etc.

20. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Two of my thoroughbreds went through a summer without being fed. However their pasture was wheat stuble so plenty of roughage but I fed them nothing at all.

They only just got a hay roll last week. Still hundreds of acres to eat down but the nutrition is gone and they both drop weight in the cold.

Nothing wrong with it I reckon!