Cost of owning a horse

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by jessg, Sep 6, 2009.

1. jessg

jessg Active Member

Hi

I am trying to crunch some numbers to work out if I will be able to afford my first horse! I dont want to get it and then realise I am in trouble. I was wondering if anyone can give me rough costings of owning a horse. I will be agisting for $140 pw (full board) and have boots, helmet etc (all the stuff for me!). There is also agistment for $45 but its just out in a paddock with no shelter and I thought it might be hard to catch as the paddock is pretty big. I need to know the other costs involved apart from the actual horse, agistment and food.Any tips as well. Otherwise does anyone know where I can find this info?

Thanks in advance!

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

dont know where you live so the costs are gogin to need to be checked out where you are but.
    worming needs to be done 6-14 weeks apart depending on the brand prices vary up to $25 a dose

farrier needs to be done minimum of every 6 weeks cost depends on where you are and if you want them barefoot or shod. allow a mimimum of $35 up to $120 if shod

vet visits will be the biggest expense. if the horse injures itself vet bills can be truely horrendous. Worth looking into getting vet insurance which I believe runs around $1200 a year. Seeing one colic call can easily exceed that and one cut leg will blow that bill out the water if it needs intensive care it can be worth getting.

horses teeth need to be done a minimum or once a year more often depending on age and feed. (young and old horses may need more frequent care as also horses that eat a lot of grain)

horse feed is expensive. If you have a large paddock you may not need to buy much and the challenge may be keepign the weight off. Horses that are too heavy get serious health issues.

if it is your first horse then riding lessons are a worthwhile investment they vary in price from $35 up.

what sort of fun are you thinking of having with your horse? Pleasure riding (Low cost) or competing? costs vary depending on what you want to do.

For me it is worth every penny spent on the horses. It's cheap mental health and gym membership.

Dont forget that your biggest expensie is going to be your time. Some days I go out to the paddock and spend up to 3 hours a day out there with two horses. between rugging, feeding, clipping feet, keeping the paddock clear of weeds, manure and sticks and a decent ride a lot of time is taken up. But then when I had young kids I didn't have that much spare time. It still took half an hour out of my day to chekc the hrose adn make sure he was fine.

Oh and I dont add up what the horses cost me. I would probably be horrified if I did adn then start to feel guilty.

Good on you for checking out the potential costs. It is easy to buy a horse. Not so easy to get rid of it if you decide it is not for you.

Sometimes it can be worth going to riding lessons at a good riding school for a year or so to make sure you still have the passion and the horse you end up getting will be glad of your added knowledge

3. Keiko

Keiko New Member

Hi jessg!!

Congrats that you are looking at buying your first horse!:)*
    You will also need to consider expenses such as (Please note these quotes are very general and may vary a lot!) :
    Trims/Shoes: $30 - $120 every 6 weeks or so
    Worming: $15 every 2 months or so
    Teeth: $100 about once a year
    Drenching: $100 around 2 times a year

Then you need to consider extra vet bills that may come up or maybe you want to insure your horse which will be around $50 a month
    And for his tack and grooming items etc. This price can vary greatly! From $500 ++
    If you want to rug your horse too.. I spend about $400 a year on rugs

I tend to spend extra on my horse then just the essentials because I enjoy buying him cute but unnecessary things hehe:)*

Good luck !! :)*

4. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Realistically.

When I was agisting it cost me realistically with shoeing etc etc approx $200 a week.
    I was agisting at a DIY/part board place for $45 a week.

Now they are on my own place roughly $120 a week.

5. megan

megan Well-known Member

to much LOL. im selling now as its cost me too much LOL. but i would say $200 a week is a good fig.

6. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

hi jess g ill just give you the basics of what it costs me to keep my horse ;)

the initial cost at buying a horse

agistment-every week $100 3/4 board most places are around $140 mark though

shoeing- if your horse is shod roughly $110 every 6 weeks

feed- Is the horse your going to buy is skinny, youll have to pay extra to bulk it up?

teeth-need to be done every 6 months depending on what condition the horses teeth are in will depend on the cost but mine was $160 last visit

wormers-every 6-8weeks $15

insurance-approx $1200 a year, would rather this than copping a big vet bill though

saddle/bridle- depending on what gear your looking at would range from $800 upwards

rugs- winter & summer, dont buy a rug ripper makes things verrrry expensive

lessons&comps- lessons start from $50 a week competitions varyy on what dicipline your doing

then theres extras- saddlefitting,massage,vetbills

its verry expensive but to me its worth every cent **)**)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  7. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

I worked it out at 20K per annum last year. This is with about 3K vet bills. For 2 horses.

If you budget at 10K per annum per horse you should be right

8. silvercent

silvercent Guest

while you are still looking, check out that your horse has good feet (no shoes) and is generally a 'good doer'. I have a horse that lives on basically hay and minerals/vitamins, I have another horse that needs a full-blown hard feed (2 buckets) every day.
    You also need tetanus/strangles vaccination every year, but that's rather cheap, $ 20.
    You might also need any of the following, chiropractor/bowen/massage for your horse every now and then and of course a saddle fitter occasionally. All that is somewhere between $30 and $90 per visit.

9. Keiko

Keiko New Member

I agree with Silvercent, you can save a lot with a good doer! One you don't have to shoe and keeps their weight & condition with a basic feed.
    Generally speaking, QH types may keep weight on better then a thoroughbred for example.

Even though you might be on full board, the feed they supply may only be minimal so you might have to pay for extra feed if your horse needs it.
    So even if the cost of buying a good doer might be initially more, it will be worth it because in the long run as your average weekly cost will be much lower

10. sil

sil Gold Member

Here are my actual expenses for Phantom, my riding horse:

Equipment:
    Saddle - $500
    Mounts - $100
    Bridle - $300 (this is a nice english bridle)
    Halter & lead - $100
    Other tack ~ $200

Rugs - $200

My equipment:
    Riding boots - $100
    Helmet - $120
    Jods - a few pairs ~ $300
    Riding vest (handy for phones etc) - $70
    Spurs - $90
    Riding whip - $40

Ongoing expenses:
    Wormer (6 weekly) - $18
    Farrier (trim 6 weekly) - $40
    Drench (3 times a year) - $30
    Float hire (as needed) - $40

Agistment either full board or feed ~ $100 a week/ feed ~ $60 a week
    Insurance $35 a month

11. Obsession of Equine

Obsession of Equine Active Member

Horse Cost

Here you go, this is a tool i came across the other day from a website i subscribe to, its a horse cost calculator, I was shocked at the amount I spend every year, especially when i consider that If i stopped all horse realted stuff for one year i could probaly get rid of all my credit card debt, but then what would I do with all my time?

Here it is:

Horse Cost Calculator - HorseChannel.com

Good luck, and always over budget and it seems just when you think you have all your tack and you don't 'need' anything else, soemthing will break or asomething will come on special that you just 'have' to have. LOL :))

12. m1ssnay

m1ssnay New Member

What i did before i bought my own horse was to lease a horse with intention to buy it. That way you can see how much the horse will cost you and how much time to look after it. But they are quite expensive to own especially when there is no grass around in most places. If the horse works out for you while your leasing it and you can afford having the horse than you should be fine to own one..

13. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

It Costs me approx $900 a month to keep my 1 horse

14. My TB costs me around $200 per week to keep, more of course for any vet bills that crop up. AND I keep him at home.

If you can afford this, go and either spend out some BIG money for a well schooled cob or arab or other good doer type breed. OR spend out not so much money on a well schooled shown standardbred :) One with really good feet.

15. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Yep good thought Merrylegs much cheaper to keep a horse that is a good doer and not so much heartbreak.

16. Bear_Luva

Bear_Luva Active Member

We keep our two in full board at $150 per horse per week. My horse can live off the smell of hay and the other is a picky warmblood, for who we have to buy extras for to keep the weight on, not to mention supplements for him because he is a 15yo.

PM me jess where you live or send me your email because I have a horse which may be suitable.

17. Midas

Midas Well-known Member

hmm depends really.
    this is whatI spend on my horses;

I have 2
    number 1:

$173- F/B agisment
    $60 per fortnight massage
    $21 per month wormers
    $50 per 6 months drenching
    $60 per week for lessons
    60 per month for competitions
    $150 per month for extra feed/ suppliments
    $110 per 5 weeks shoeing

Number 2;
    155 p- F/B agisment (per week)
    21 per month wormers
    $50 pe 6 mnths drenching
    $40 per month trim

and they are just things that are needed.

then if you compete there is browbands... $100 each roughly, show jackets $250, Jods $150, Tack $2000+easily
    everyday stuff... rugs... I think I have about $1500 worth, Halters/ lead ropes $150, float somewhere in the 1_,_ _ _ range
    shampoo and brushes $200
    the list could go on forever, I don't even want to list how much stuff I have, I never ever want to see what I have spent LOL

If you can afford to feed, worm, farrier, teeth, keep clean, vet calls and house your horse then you should be ok
    Just be aware that competing is expensive!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  18. jessg

jessg Active Member

Thanks for all the replies! Its not as bad as I was expecting. Expensive yes but I think I will manage! Plus it will benefit my leg so instead of physio and walking in a pool I can do that and use that money on my horse! (thats what I am telling myself) I am not really sure about the whole competitve side of riding as I dont know if my leg can take. At the moment I just want a horse for riding on bush trails and in the arena and eventually if my leg gets stronger do jumps or even western riding as that looks like alot of fun. Tried a western saddle today and loved it. Can I just ask how do you work out if you trim or shoe a horse? Is it to do with the breed and the work it does?

19. Midas

Midas Well-known Member

can depend on the wrk it does, but generally depends on whether they have good feet!
    Mine have both got awesome feet, but in winter one is in shoes because his feet get so soft that walking on concrete/road chips them easily,and as I ride 6 days a week and compete I don't want his feet going bad but he's out of shoes now and will remain out of them till next winter :)

20. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Midas, out of curiousity....how often do you worm your horse ?
    And what extra feed/suppliments do you feed that cost you so much each month ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2009