Cost of Meadow Hay Bales

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by blitzen, Nov 7, 2007.

1. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

my dad is a real entrepreneur and wants to charge me (his own daughter!) $8 a bale PICK UP FROM PADDOCK for meadow hay.

i don't care how good it is, even if it is solid lotus & clover... i can pay LESS than that for Pick Up Oaten hay/baroota wonder.

so what's the going rate for good quality meadow hay from down south?

2. megan

megan Well-known Member

lol dads hey.
    you can get oaten at that price and oaten is better IMO

3. Antyk

Antyk Well-known Member

There are things to consider when asking about prices on meadow hay and oaten hay, eg. how heavy are the bales, and what sort of quality are they.
    Our bales of rye and clover meadow hay are $6.00 per square bale and each bale weighs between 25 to 30kg, there maybe cheaper bales around but they are also a lot lighter.

4. Antyk

Antyk Well-known Member

Our oaten bales are not baled as yet so we can not set a price until they are baled and weighed

5. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

if that's the case then, antyk, how come i pay $12 a bale NO MATTER WHAT at the feedstore? some bales are VERY light compared to others. even from the same batch/supplier.

but i will keep that $6 price range in mind for 30kg bale. i need some bargaining power.

6. Antyk

Antyk Well-known Member

The excuse they will propably use is freight, Yes freight is very expensive and to find people you are willing to cart hay is not always easy. Remember also that no matter where you buy your hay from you have the right to refuse a bale if you don't like it, whether it is because it has a bad smell, it is to light, or for any good reason, YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER, it is the same when you buy direct from the farmer.

7. Eo

Eo Active Member

we used to pay $3 a bale for bloody good meadow hay full of rye and clover and i used to struggle to lift some of them. horses never left a scrap either even when they had heaps of feed in the paddocks.

8. Antyk

Antyk Well-known Member

What people do not understand is that the cost of seed, fertilizer, and sprays have all gone up dramatically if you can even get the seed, we really struggled to get oats this year and this makes things really hard for the farmer. We try to grow the best quality hay that we can for the best price that we can, its the same for all our products in our online shop.

9. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

we sold ours last year for $5 a bale. havent asked hubby yet what they will be for sale for this year. it is being baled as i type so will ask him when he comes in.

10. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

We get round bales at $90 for good quality meadow (I mistook it for oaten at first!)

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Ouch, hay's not cheap i guess & i should be thankful i pay $50 per oaten roll & its excellent hay.

But in saying that, i'd love to buy meadow for my mini's & fatties, but not at those prices.

12. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

i dont know why people are under the impression that meadow hay is only good for the horses/ponies that are already in good or overweight condition.

i know an arabian breeder that showed his filly at states being fed nothing besides meadow hay ad lib off rolls in the paddock. when asked what he fed his filly to have it in such wonderful condition he replied "nothing but ..........'s hay rolls"

13. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

Hehe Kylie, good quality oaten around here is $14 a square bale.

Getting more expensive for sure! I could buy a half decent square bale of oaten for $10 but the $14 bales are HEAPS better quality, the horses dont leave a scrap of it on the ground!

14. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Because its not as stalky for my miniatures & from past experience, not as fattening neither & less chance of compaction (colic) when fed.

If i remember correctly, i've ALWAYS been told to feed meadow hay over oaten anyday, to very good doers. :)

15. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I pay $14 a bale for oaten hay, and it in't great quality, too stalky and tb leaves at least half of it, I have to feed double the amount to give her enough of the bits that she will eat!!

(Luckily I have a small fat black vacuum who will finish the other bits!!) :)*

16. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

We must remember that the nutrient quality of meadow hay greatly depends upon many factors like the pasture/clover varieties used and % composition, stage of plant growth/maturity, time of cutting, weather conditions at cutting/baling times, soil quality, fertiliser history, weed content etc, etc.

High legume content makes some meadow hay more suitable for youngsters, breeding stock or horses needing some conditioning. The more grassy hays are better for fatties. Some clovers used in meadow hay should not be fed to pregnant mares as it affects hormone levels!

There is good meadow hay, and then there is real quality meadow hay!!

17. Antyk

Antyk Well-known Member

I have feed meadow hay to all my horses for the last 8 years some are good doers and some are harder to keep the weight on, but with the meadow hay and the right hard feed they all thrive.

My husband was talking to a friend of ours in Newman the other night and they are now paying $18.00 for a square bale of hay. Now that hurts.

We finally cut our first paddock of oaten hay today yee harr.

18. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Thats the type of meadow i've only used Caroline & always told is better for my fatties & mini's.
    Thanks.:)

19. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

thing is antyk, apart from a bit of super once a year, i KNOW this hay hasn't had anything special done to it besides a good dollop of rain thru winter - there's just not enough sheep for it, is all, so my dad is tryna get a deal out of me, cheeky bugger.
    with that in mind, for $8 a bale, it better be from a golden meadow.

also, my horses grew up on meadow hay. the fattest my horse has ever been is in summer, fed on our homegrown meadow hay. he only ever went on to oaten hay when i moved to the desert and meadow hay was a rarity. even now in Perth, ppl @ my agistment seem SCARED of meadow hay because of ryegrass toxicity. i guess it's jsut easier to buy a couple of bales of oaten at a time from the feedstore, than meadow.

idk.

20. Em

Em Well-known Member

I am paying $4 a bale for beautiful meadow hay, just about straight out of the baler. Have to pick it up off the padock myself and am doing it straight away and it is going into my shed so sweet and fresh and the horses just LOVE it! What is even better, seeing i get it myself I can get the choice picks in the paddock....hehehe