Correct weight???

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Alice_Jayne, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Alice_Jayne

Alice_Jayne Active Member

Ok so I was wondering....

I got a light on TB just over 3 weeks ago now.
    He is roughly 16.2-16.3hh

[​IMG]

Since That photo was taken he has put on over 30kgs of weight to now weighing 478kgs :(

What is the ideal weight he should be when built up etc??

Thank you guys :)

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

I would think he should be weighing around 550kg by the time he has put on the body condition and muscle he needs! I can see the potential in him to be shiny and well covered.**)

3. Alice_Jayne

Alice_Jayne Active Member

Yes I too can see the potential and it upsets me to think that the owner wants to take him back and let him carry on living this skinny and weak :(

4. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

he doesn't look skinny and weak in the photo he looks race fit! there is a huge difference and you would actually be doing the horse some real damage if you tried to race them any heavier! Yes for a pleasure horse he is lean but not skinny and please don't tar race horse owners and trainers with the 'dont care' brush...they care and love their animals very very much!

5. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

He is not emaciated but he is very lean. To lean for my liking. And he certainly isn't race fit! He has no hindquarter muscling or topline left to run no race. :stir:

He needs good teeth, and good worming management to help put the weight back on. And he also needs good basic feeding, good protein like lucerne and flaked lupins, lots of hay and a min supp. And the rest is time! He will be a very nice looking boy when he has filled out! :)*