Copra - heating?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Taryn_horse123, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Taryn_horse123

Taryn_horse123 New Member

Looking at adding a bit of copra to my horses diet.
    He is a hot and highly strung tb - can't have grain.
    His diet consists of 1.5kg mitavite Munga, chaff and 2 large biscuits of good quality hay and oil when in work.
    He is a good weight, ribs covered etc but needs a bit more bulk for dressage/showing.

Has anyone found copra to be heating at all? The website explains it as a cool feed, grain free, low starch and low sugar , which is everything I need, just need experiences personal opinions :)

Thanks

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Copra is not heating at all, but I would suggest feeding more hay first and see how he goes. **)

3. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

What about adding full fat soya meal to his feed?
    I see you already are adding oil, could you up his oil any?

4. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

I agree with Caroline about upping the hay. My boy (OTTB) is hard-fed twice a day and gets a minimum of 4 biscuits per day (2 x AM and PM) and usually has access to a hay roll. If he is allowed, he can power through probably 8-10kg per day, no problem! lol

As for the Copra - love the stuff! I was a little tentative when I started adding it to the Rev-heads feeds however there were no problems at all (and he isn't called Rev-head for nothing! lol)

Start off with just small amounts, say about 1/4 cup spread over 2 meals per day, and then just slowly increase it over a couple of weeks. My boy now gets 2 cups (155g x 2) per day and looks good for it! :))

5. Taryn_horse123

Taryn_horse123 New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    When he was skinnier I used to feed him 6 biscuits a day but he struggled to finish it all.
    He usually eats his 2 biscuits all day - going back and forth to it and I'm assuming he does the same at night.
    He's not a big gutsy horse and does eat quite slowly.
    I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure how to add a photo of him sorry.
    The Munga already has soy in it so I'm not sure if adding more in would be too much?
    Was only going to start off with 1 cup of copra to see if it heats him up- but I hope not as iv had a lot of success with it with my old non hot horse!!
    He's definetely not skinny - but the judge at the show I went to on the weekend said that he will be a very nice horse once he 'fils out'.
    Thank you :)

6. Karen Jet

Karen Jet New Member

Ive been using Copra for 30 years on and off, never found it heating. I feed Munga with it as well. Good combo. :)

7. lara

lara Active Member

My boy used to heat up on copra I also know a few other people who have had the same problem but it really depends on the horse.