contracted hoof?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Pepsea, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

had farrier out today, said jayke has a contracted hoof.

what does this really mean?

he said jayke has a pretty good structure for good feet but needs a bit of tlc for his hoof (it's only one of them).
    he said it's probably from being on shoddy ground. so im guessing just trimms to help fix it?

2. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

O/H says it's when the heel grows in too tight. And regular trims will slowly heal it.

3. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

My tb had one :) often caused by shoeing too short, so the heel contraccts to 'fit' the shoe as it is being constricted by it. Can also happen in unshod horses, often due to poor trimming and not balancing the foot properly. A good farrier will fix it, it takes time :)

4. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

thanx heaps everyone, as jayke is only a yearling hes had no shoes, so farrier said it would be from shit ground, when he was in perth he was trimmed by a good barefoot farrier, i doubt she would have done un balanced trims. and the other farrier down here well i dunno about them, lol.
    just happy this farrier mentioned this to me, and i will get him out regularly to fit jaykes problem foot. it 6 weeks okay for trims, or cos of this should i bring it down to 4 or so weeks for now? might caller farrier to have a chat see what he reccomends to help :D

5. pso

pso Gold Member

Blonde question...
    Are you sure he wasnt born with it?
    A horse can have a balanced hoof, even if they are different shapes...sometimes you can do more harm by trimming them to 'look' the same... (only sometimes!)

6. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

thanx taylorc i will give him a call to discuss the mangment of it and see if he things 4/5 weeks is good.

pso, im trying to look through photos now, but no other farrier has previously mentioned it. he was done by a well known barefoot trimmer who i know a lot fo stockies know and used. and the other farrier in perth also very good with problem feet (fixed pepper feet from years of being on sand) never said anything either. so either farriers dont like mentioneding problems or dont pick up on it.

i will speak to the farrier about it

7. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

isnt the correct term "contracted Heel" ??..this applies to, "a blocky hoof"... and has nothing to do with a CLUB HOOF.

Lee

8. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

lea, it's probably the correct term as it is the heel, just saying what the farrier said.

he said it's fixable with a bit fo tcl, so i guess he means trimming.
    oh and pso, it wont be trimming to look the same, it will be trimming to correct it.

9. El_equine

El_equine Well-known Member

My aged mare I got recently has a contracted heel/hoof. From what I know of her past with respect to trimming she was just rasped so her feet didn't get too long.
    Since I have had her she has had two barefoot trims and already there is a huge difference in her hoof. **)