Connecting water and power to vacant land-Cost?

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by robbing'charisma, Sep 20, 2010.

1. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

I'm considering buying a property, and wasn't sure of the extra costs involved. Such as connecting water and power. Has anyone recently had this done, roughly how much was it?
    I'm not sure if I should get a property with more acreage and doesn't have water and power or pay the same amount and buy a property with power and water already connected, but it has less than half the acreage.
    I will be talking about the pro's and con's with family and friends before I make a huge investment, but I thought my fellow stockies might like to help me. :)

2. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

My place is rural so might be a bit different power was already next door and power lines across rd but due to new laws all power must go underground first quote was $40,000 managed to get it down to $17,000 but was alot of work head aches quoes and arguments. Friends in Nth Danadalup again rural paid $100,000.

I was in shoke each place is different so check where power is and inst in relation to your block

3. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

It will all depend on how far you want the water and power run into the block. If its just inside the boundry its going to be alot cheaper than at the back of the block.

So were you position the house is going to be the biggest issue.

4. Tails

Tails New Member

It also depends on how far they have to bring the power down the street. It cost us about $24,000 10 years ago as we had to bring the power down the street from the end of the sub-division, then across our property to the electric pole, then underground to our house. if it already goes down the street and there is a pole near your property then it will be cheaper. Water was a little better as that ran down the street, just had to have a trench dug, meter fitted and then undergound up to the house. If you are clever you can get them run down the same trench. But it can be costly!

5. robbing'charisma

So I don't swear, I will say wow! $40,000!!! I was thinking $10,000, gosh I was very wrong. I will only be putting horses, sheep, alpaca's and a few camels on there to start with (no house), so I will only need one tap near the fence for water and another tap for wash bays.

Will it be cheaper if I dug the trenches myself? Or wouldn't they allow that?

6. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

THe price i gave you was soley what western power charge to put power just inside my fence line, everything else will be done by my wonderful stockies reccommended electrian.

7. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

oh my lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $100k?!

Haha my mum is in for a suprise when she starts getting quotes for our place in Banjup

8. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

When we bought our farm it had no electricity connected.
    But an existing powerline runs up our side boundary.

Western Power quoted us $12,000, which we paid, to put in a transformer and run the wire down the pole to a green dome at the base of the power pole. (And the dimwits still managed to put the dome on the neighbours property :mad: )

The cost to run the electricity from the dome to your shed/house is a totally separate thing, done by any electrician.

Also be aware that Western Power only have to place the dome on the nearest point on the boundary of your property. They dont necessarily place it handy to where you will be putting your house - for eg if you have 100 acres, and the nearest point for them is is other end of your property, youve got a hell of a cost later on, to do the trench and the cost of the cable, to bring it to where you want it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  9. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Why didnt they just go solar? :confused:
    Gosh we even looked into going solar for the price of ours, for $15,000 you get a pretty kick ass system with the bonus of no electricity bills!
    Or was it for a development or sub-division? That makes it much more expensive.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  10. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Very true. But you will find most shires wont allow solar without having electricity as a back up. Sucks I reckon! Even a generator back up isnt alllowed in semi-rural areas.

11. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Really?!
    That is a bit silly.... No point going solar if you have to be connected to the grid anyway!
    We have a generator for backup too as the regular power sometimes is a bit hit and miss. Means I won't get stuck in the shower anymore with a head full of conditioner like what happened once!!!

12. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Tell me about it! With the cost to rig up power to most properties, most people then cant afford to get solar for at least several years. Real smart in the whole saving the planet scheme of things.

13. robbing'charisma

That's a bit silly that you still have to get an electrician out to do the actual work at extra cost. Guess that's the way you have to do it. Gee, I would be mad if that happened to me, did they fix it for you?

14. robbing'charisma

So far it sounds like I shouldn't even consider the one without water and electricity!

15. Toyz

Toyz Well-known Member

Sorry not trying to take over your thread robbing charisma:D Just have a question i bought my block last year had water on it but no power so i got an extra bit out for power i havn't done it yet but i was just wondering does anyone no who you talk to about getting power on?? We have spoken to western power and they want us to do like an online quote but all the questions on the are like WTF you need an electrician to answer the question:eek:

So is there an easyer way??

Cheers Bec:)

16. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Umm, is your reply about two different bits of my post? lol :p
    I put a gap and numbers between so to answer properly....:p

1) Not really silly, what you pay Western Power to do is simply to provide power to the boundary of your property. Where you want the power to go afterwards is your responsibility.

2) I was a bit cross lol, however we live on 200 acres and they have over 300 acres, so its not like its in their way, and we are friends with our neighbour, they dont care in the slightest and it is only 1 metre in on their side of our shared boundary fence (an electric fence tho!) so its not too much of a big deal. I was a bit surprised Western Power didnt have their thinking caps on when they decided to put it on the other side of the fence though!

Hi Bec, so your place doesnt have a meter box?
    If not, then yes, Western Power is who you need to speak to. You need to ask them to put the power to your property which they will do from their nearest power line, and it will run to the closest point to your boundary. We didnt have an online quote thingo but we did our place 2 years ago, maybe things have changed. We spoke to an actual person, but it took them forever to 'find' our place on their system, apparently Mt Barker might as well be Siberia lol ;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  17. robbing'charisma

Both was a reply to you :) I just think the price is very steep considering you have to pay more for an electrician afterwards, mabe its differant types of electric wires when it is connecting to a house from the meter box. I am certainly leaning towards having a property that already has the water and power but has a lot less acreage! :)*

Thankyou everyone for your replies! :))( It has certainly opened my eye's to the price of owning my own land!):eek:

18. Toyz

Toyz Well-known Member

19. Tempo

Tempo Well-known Member

$26,000 to upgrade the transformer and bring the power across the street and just inside our boundary.
    All depends on what needs doing. Ridiculous money considering it took them about 6 hours.......

20. Toyz

Toyz Well-known Member

Hmm ive got $20k saved up:eek: Might need some more ';'