confidence/trust

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Heifer, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Yes I will consider Bruce if it continues. He is reactive to one of the 3 stomache acupoints, but this could be result of stress. I think he is improving? I also think he just needs time...

2. pso

pso Gold Member

Can you leave him out 24/7?

3. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

i could... but he would trash paddock so shouldnt really be on it all day/night. This is original reason for stabling (and the additional handling he gets from being stabled)

4. pso

pso Gold Member

Just an idea- he paces when he wants to be elsewhere...If you leave him out he might realise pacing wont get him anywhere else, so he might stop doing it.:)

5. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

yep thats why its been good having him come in late. So he paces, it achieves nothing, he gives up and goes back to eating and THEN he is brought in.
    Now that he is starting work he might not be so keen to come in :p hehe

6. kp

kp Well-known Member

You might find simply being worked will stop this behaviour. As he becomes more accustomed to his surrounds and the comings and goings he will become less and less concerned about it. Good luck for the ride.

7. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

thanks KP. its just a sit in teh round yard today, get one, walk around, get off (after long reining).

8. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I nipped in at around 2pm today to drop off Ohio's collar and your boy was just stood near the fence line dozing. He looked pretty chilled out to me but no one was there so nothing going on. I think half the time they just decide to carry on once someone is around and they are after some interaction.

9. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Have you tried rescue remedy?

10. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Yeh he started walking when he saw my car again yesterday. I finally rode him at home, and he was perfecto :)) very calm and relaxed (and a bit lazy!).

CF - nup havent tried RR. That would require me to go and shove it in his mouth when he starts walking.

11. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Hmm this has me thinking...he sounds anxious right? Why not try him on some Vit B products. I have just put my boy on Placid Rein...been on it for a week now...it seems to be working:) I would recommned trying it

12. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

He was put on vit B supp the night he arrived, since I had some and figured it wouldnt hurt. Doesnt seem to have helped him (but he prob doesnt have a vit B deficiency). I think the Chamomile is helping. Also time, and a job to do. He is not anxious when with humans, just when he can see activity in teh stables but cant GET there lol.

13. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Have a look through this;

SC natural horse products:

They do a whole bunch of oil blends, incl oils for confidence, anxiety, calmness etc. I had 2 for my boy when i was having problems with him, one was the calming one, can't remember the other one. But it helped.
    I never did it, but i'm sure you could put some over a rug or halter to last longer. But i used to stroke my boy down his neck with my hand i had the oil on, to make it smell longer.

14. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Well seems he has settled. He didnt fence walk at ALL last night! I arrived and he was sleeping, i went and gave him a carrot and said hello, then back to stables to clean his yard, potter about etc - still no fence walking. He seems to be calming down and relaxing in his paddock now :)
    Am planning on taking him for a walk this evening on the roads :)

15. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

hmmm 2 steps forward, 3 steps back....
    Quiz was fence walking yesterday afternoon after I arrived - actually he was trotting. trot trot spin, trot trot spin etc... I brought him in and took him for a long walk up the road and back, then fiddled with him for ages until he was quite bored. Planning on riding again tonight.