confidence/trust

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Heifer, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

He is VERY young. He has alot of baby mannerisms still (such as wanting to talk to you with his nostrils near your face - VERY foal behaviour!).

New horse is a windsucker... god i hope he doesnt copy... what do i do!?

I am so new to this agisting thing, and i dont really like it - i like to have control of everything going on etc... yep control freak!

2. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Agisted horses that windsuck have to wear a collar as they do lots of damage

3. kp

kp Well-known Member

Do the agistment owners know the horse windsucks?

I don't think I would like being at agistment either. Probably the control freak in me also!

I'm gathering he hasn't done the mindless trot around for a few days? And now he just wants attention. Does sound like he is starting to sette in a little. It's not unusual for horses to get excited when a new horse arrives. A lot of our horses will start running around in the paddocks when a newbie arrives.

4. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

He trotted yesterday, but was just walking when i arrived. Wasnt a lather in sweat so thats good!

5. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

HAHA My 7 year old mare STILL does this!:D

6. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

its cute! Except when he poked me on the side of the face with his moustache and i got whisker rash! (actually, more like welts! I must be allergic to his moustache...)

7. KLP

KLP Guest

Hahaha, I was watching her lick that, she adores it :p

8. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

I had a lickit for Buckley when he was injured, and short of a few licks the ants enjoyed it most! I might try and make him a couple of distraction toy things and see if that helps, but i think its a wanting to go back to the stables thing?

9. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Lilly has hay also but she just eats the best bits, plays with it and then gets bored and throws it out of the paddock and then throws the bucket around..then invites her paddock mate to have it then chases him around! I'd try him with some toys :) if it is a bordem type thing i'd be worried about it leading to other things like copying the windsucker etc

With the cordial bottle, I let her sniff the pony cubes in it first and left the lid off it and she worked out how to tip them out and get to them, with the lid on it just rattled which lost its fun after a while haha

10. KLP

KLP Guest

haha she'e entertaining. :p what time you going down today tara??

11. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

This arvo :) Will probs see you there

12. KLP

KLP Guest

OK :) might go out for a ride tonight if lisa wants to...

13. KLP

KLP Guest

omg i just realised you make browbands :eek: :D

14. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Yes Agistment know
    He is my new horse :)
    Will be getting collar **)

15. Sam & Max

Sam & Max Well-known Member

ZInny did this when I 1st bought him here.....But his was a seperation thing...(well I think it was) He paced that fence line (same one quiz paces lol) if his neighbour was taken away......and wouldnt stop until I got there....It took a couple of months until he completely stopped......Then he shared with dj.....also went out into the 11 acres for a day or 2.....then I seperated him completely and not a problem.....didnt even care when Paulas horse came in....looked at him and went back to his hay roll......Im sure they know that food is in that stable area lol......

maybe leave him out for a night and feed him.....then in....then out.....maybe he needs to know its a good thing in that paddock too

16. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Only time Ralph gets exercise :p

17. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  18. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

Think you have more of a T/bred. - keep up your god work and i am sure you will come out a winner in the end

19. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Friday when I arrived (a little early) he was munching away happy, but when i pulled into the driveway he went straight to his fence walking spot and started pacing... So I am pretty sure he is wanting to go to the stables! When i brought him in I put him in the stables with no food (was waiting for massage lady) and he was so relaxed he went to sleep... I think he is a horse who likes boundaries and for him the stables is where he feels safest at the moment.

Saturday morning he was turned out while the other hroses were waiting for the farrier. He went straight to pacing the fence line looking at the stables. I ignored him and left lol. I was pretty late bringing him him (was dark already) and he was completely chilled out. I think the ignoring him for a day did him good haha!

Sunday I wasnt around that long so I dont know if he paced, but he wasnt pacing when I arrived to bring him in (again it was fairly late).

I have started him on a bit of chamomile just to see if it helps him settle/relax in his paddock. I dont usually like going for these options, but this is not a training issue its a tension/stress issue, and as far as I am concerned all other aspects have been looked at (he has food/neighbours/time/handling/work etc). He remains a very respectful, personable horse on the ground.

Am aiming to finally ride him this avo (had to get soreness sorted out first and give him a chance to bond with me). Fingers crossed he takes this as well as he has the rest of our 'sessions'.

20. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

what a pain!

he sounds like he is just an incredibly sensitive horse.

When Ted was still around and in a fantastic/no stress agistment he would do exactly the same thing as what you are explaining, if there was the slightest change to his daily routine. If we moved his paddock, or added another horse etc, he would literally lose the plot. If I took him away from his paddock during these changes he went into his own zone, like he didn't even see the people around him - just wanted to get back to his paddock NOW. If I let him out in the arena he would run around for hours non stop - not tiring at all! at one point we had to corner him and catch him as he was going to give himself an injury/make himself sick!!!

It generally took a minimum of 2 weeks after a change was made, and he would be okay. But it would take him another couple of weeks to totally accept it and go back to his old self.

It was just the way he was, he did get a little better when we moved him to our own quiet private property.

I think maybe the chamomile or something to just relax Quiz during his stressed out period, might be a good thing...
    I know you might not neccesarily be "into it" but I'm sure Bruce at Murdoch could give you a fantastic insight, and maybe something else to calm him down. It's always worth a shot!