Confidence around a Stallion.. Advice please!

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Sniggles, Jun 10, 2011.

1. JessSundo

JessSundo New Member

Actually just having something in your hand that you can defend yourself with will give you more confident body language, and make him think twice if you look like you mean it, my riggy gelding was aggressive at feed time and I just had to point a whip at him (I never hit him him ever) to make him back off now he knows he's not allowed within 2 meters of the stable and will patiently wait for me to do his feed and pat him to tell him he can have his dinner. It wasnt the whip tho it was me being more confident because I had it in my hand.

2. platinumprincess

platinumprincess New Member

Hmmm... I second what Lilac said, surely there was another way out. Seems a little melodramatic to me, there are two sides to every story and I am sure you have only heard one of them. I understand it can be difficult to see past some embelishment when our children are concerned.

In terms of the whip used for training, I have a TB gelding who wasnt gelded till he was 6 so regularly is highly strung. Not quite the same thing but the method is the same no matter the gender. If they are trained correctly you shouldnt need the whip to get their respect though it does help to establish it in the beginning (not saying to whip them senseless) in the same way it is used in riding to establish a movement of some form till they understand what is being asked. While I no longer require the whip in order to get the response I require from my horse, it is occasionally brought out as a reminder when he is misbehaving and to get his mind back on track. I certainly cant see a whip being detrimental or seen as a weapon when used correctly. My horse respects the whip, but in no way is he afraid of a beating or afraid of it when I carry it near him

3. pieapple

pieapple Guest

yeah Never turn your back on a Stallion

4. lessa

lessa New Member

I worked at a tb stud for 7 yrs and we had 2 stallions i remember the first day i met Belele a 17hh very wide boy, the manager walked me in the paddock and said do not take a step back when he comes cantering up to you as he will test you to see if you back away from him. As scary as it was he was right he stopped and i never had a problem with him. Taking a whip with you saounds like a fantastic idea, goodluck.

5. Perthian

Perthian New Member

Have had limited time with stallions my first 3 years ago.
    When I started to help out at a stable I told them I was petrified of them and had no experience at all in handling them.
    Owner explained to me what you all explained here not to go in to them unless you are totally confident and believe yourself in being around them. I was feeding them through the fence.
    As time went by I learned a little about each stalions personality and told owner I was ready to enter one of teh stallions padock to clean out. Owner followed and we did the job together. From then on I had no problems there. The other stallion however I wasn't as confident with as he was known for charging at odd times when you went in but usually without warning. In the end I decided I was going to tackle this problem too. I walked in to do my cleaning and it all worked out well, I just didn't take my face off him. One day someone went by th yard of this particular stallion and I started to talk. Oh, how quick the stallion picked up on my lack of concentration and he charged. The only thing that saved me was that I had a manure fork in my hand which only came up in the air by reflex and slapped him on his shoulder (flat side). Since that time I only needed to shoo him away with my hand but I was always alert around him. Still he was a gentleman when you got a halter on him and cared for him.

6. foxleigh stud

foxleigh stud Active Member

I am lucky enough to own a very well behaved stallion but like all boys they can have their moments. Confidence is certainly the key and don't be afraid to ask for help from the owners or a professional trainer if you have trouble. Mine is very well behaved but I am also smart enough to not put myself into a situation where he might think he is the boss. My OH is non horsey so I have to make sure my boy is respectful of all people no matter who they are. Taking the occasional dressage whip with me when we go out is just a smart precaution and I believe with stallions that you should be prepared for anything as it isn't just them you have to worry about but some of the people out at shows have no idea so better to be safe than sorry.

7. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

I know its an old thread, but was this at Limestone Park stud?

8. Banjo01

Banjo01 New Member

I work with a few imported Warmblood stallions, each are quite well trained and therefore well behaved, but nonetheless, Spring is in the air and they are quickly reminded by their hormones that they are reaal boys.. -.- So yes, they have their moments. They will rear, paw, shy etc. but so long as Im firm and straightforward with my requests of them, they do as their told. I was taught to treat a Stallion no different to a young horse, two hands on the leadrope (do NOT wrap around hand though, wouldnt want to lose it!) and walk at the left shoulder. When handling the stallion with someone else, both be on the same side, especially with young colts; if the horse is going to jump/shy, you dont want him feeling trapped and hurting you or himself.
    Bullbits can be reccommended, but do not misuse them. I personally dont like to use them and where I can, I wont. But some stallions require the extra constraint, and it is up to you not misuse that aid of control. I agree with the idea of carrying a whip, if neccessary though, and once again dont abuse the use of your aid.
    I think the most important thing to remember when handling a stallion; dont be afraid of them :) they are horses like all others, and if you are confident and quiet, so they should be too. Just use your common sense and dont place yourself or the stallion in a tempting/hazardous situation, get the job done quickly and properly and move on to another horse :)
    Good luck!