Concentration span...

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Tam, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Kobies concentration span has improved 100% in the last 6 months but I have noticed a little something that is hard to get past. If he has an itch on his leg, that takes prcedence over all else and he simply must scratch it- one minute we're trotting, next minute he's stopped and is scratching his leg. he doesn't do it in canter though. Recently I have started to adopt the attitude that this is not acceptable and that i will give him time to scratch but that time is not now- as my instructor says, "Are you going to let him do that in the middle of a dressage test?" What do you think? Has anyone else had a similar thing happen where their horse just can't resist?

2. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

Tristan stops to scratch, but i can never pull his head up, he always scratches the same leg, and if I look away he is suddenly eating the grass, i think it might just be a control thing, you need to tell em to get up or they will abuse the privellage etc. ???

~To ride a horse is to borrow freedom...~

3. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

He is using it now to get out of work. if it is really really itchi, then mabey during a short break between work out allow him 'his time'. Just so there is no excuses, wash him all over with a medical shampoo wash, to make sure he doesnt have any bugs or bateria itching him.

-bec-

4. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

This sounds like a lurk to avoid what he is doing because he is either bored with it , or is finding it hard. Next time that you are riding him take notice of what you were doing when he tries to scratch his leg.
    We had a horse that didn't seem to be able to buck , but would put his head down in a seeming scratch , then spin to get someone off. We were well aware of this and knew not to let him put his head down for at least half an hour after we had gotten on him.

Jo

5. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

Torkhan will lean down and rub his bridle on his right leg always, he only does it when we are working in the arena, never out bush and never jumping. Obviously I know that he is avoiding work, too hard, hates it, hates the bit, generally hates to be ridden, would rather be out picking in the paddock!! LOL I learnt the hard way as to what he was doing, my instructor used to say, he has 23 hours a day to rub and scratch, and if I am to let him do it while I'm riding, then he's got it all over me!!! How true...

6. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

sounds like an evasion tatic. I should know, i use the same thing myself...
    it's like when i wash the dishes at night, my legs get itchy, & i will find any excuse to get out of washing them.

7. annie

annie Active Member

My boys used to complain that their hands got itchy when they washed the dishes....
    So I bought them some gloves...lol...

Now they don't do dishes anymore as they both work so I bought a dishwasher...boy were they impressed..not...

annie

8. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

There is no reason to it, he doesn't seem to do it when doing a particular exercise, usually when we are just trotting. I am very firm now and if he won't listen to the leg to pop his head up i tap him on the shoulder with the whip and push him straight back into trot. its just amazing how quickly he can put the brakes on when he wants to though!

9. Stephie

Stephie New Member

carry a whip then when he does it give him a light tap and make him keep going i did it with my horse wen he pulled his head down at canter and worked but all horses are different

~*Steph*~