Compressed wood shavings

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Petite Pastures, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Petite Pastures

Petite Pastures Well-known Member

I was wondering if anyone uses these for there stables and how much do they cost and how big are the bags?

2. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Well we get a truckload of untreated pine shavings in every now and then but luckily its from our olllllld family friend who lets us have it for free cos we're special lol.

I can ask if you like if they would sell you some and im pretty sure you could get as much as you like.

3. pso

pso Gold Member

I have used them...expensive..about $16 direct (more from a store), and dont go that far...and I hate shavings stuck in manes and tails!
    I prefer sawdust (pine or karri)...They sell bags (about size of oat bag) from kings, for $3.50...or truckloads (when available...long waiting list) priced according to location ...

4. equinenthusiast

equinenthusiast New Member

can get them from oakford stockfeeds - I only know this because I work there! They come in two types of compressed bales. One is larger and I think is bagged locally at Kings. VERY VERY hard to get hold of continuous supply and the price has just gone up!!!!! The second type is a smaller bale, a little lighter aslo but is dustless. Can only give you customer feed back as I don't use shavings. The big bag fluffs up more and covers better but breaks down much faster and you have to "top up" more often. The smaller bale - also more expensive than the bigger one as they come from the eastern states believe it or not - are packed more solidly, and are harder to spread out. One customer says you need a rake to break up. But these shavings apparently last longer.
    Hope this is of some help!
    Then there is a product called woody pet.....

5. Petite Pastures

Petite Pastures Well-known Member

Thanks Super but we live 3 hours from Perth so getting a truckload is out of the question. My O/H has got a quote from down here for $40 for a compressed bag which is 40 litre bag size? Sounds a bit expensive to me and thought we could stock up next time we are up there.
    How much is oakford selling them for?

6. Erin

Erin Well-known Member

sorry to hijack a bit but would anyone know a quote of how much it would be to get a trailer/truck load of sawdust (not shavings) to Wattle Grove?
    And prehaps where from?

thanks guys

7. pso

pso Gold Member

WA&J King...in Martin....Phone number in the book!
    No idea on cost for delivery...I always pick up bags...

8. Erin

Erin Well-known Member

cheers for that!!!

9. Mini Overos

Mini Overos Active Member

I get bags of pine shavings from WA&J King in Martin, I only have 3 stables so I don't use that much of it plus the stables are only used in winter. I dont mind the shavings getting stuck in the manes and tails, the shavings are easy to brush out or they fall out with a few flicks of the tail. I dont like using sawdust because its too dusty, I think horses seem to cough/sneeze more if they are kept in stables with sawdust in them