Compacted Hay

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Angimac, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Angimac

Angimac Well-known Member

Hi Elvis had his teeth done last week and it looks like he is going to loose some more teeth later this year or early next (had his first removed two years ago). He has stopped eating the tuff straw in the oaten bales we are getting.
    I want to put him onto compact oaten hay with no normal oaten bales, but my stepdad wants to get some knowledgeable horsie people to say this is ok (he will not take my word for it).

I have looked at some of the hay trader websites and their is one that has pictures of fine stem oaten hay but I have not seen any in the stockfeeders around here. I have had export compacted bales in the past that we full of red dirt and laterite rocks. (Probably the rejects.)

Can stockies pm me any stockfeeders around Midland that will deliver to Brigadoon quality oaten compressed bales.

2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Why dont you buy direct? Western Hay do deliveries, and probably so do Glenvar. Cut out the middle-man (the stockfeeders) and go direct.
    We used to get a pallet once a month sent down with a transport company. Still worked out $5 a bale cheaper than the local stockfeeds. :p 26 bales on a pallet.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  3. Angimac

Kirkspark thanks for the info. The red dirt compacts were direct from the place that supplies Western Hay. That was when you had to collect the bales (we hired a truck).

4. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Thats strange Ive never had any problems with rocks/red dirt from Western Hay. All their hay is beautiful stuff.
    We picked up 2 pallets just recently on our way up North. Direct from his place near Bindoon there somewhere.

5. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

We bought direct from Hay Australia but then we did place a large order which they delivered. Haven't really had any problems with their hay, the odd piece of paper or rock, maybe a small fat chunk of baling twine but none of my horses have ever eaten those bits.

On the pony side of things my 30yr old is missing teeth and won't eat the straw like stems of the hay these days hence while on rolls this summer she lost a lot of weight. I'm now finding that more regular hard feeds that are easier for her chew and access to hay 24/7 is a better way for her.

6. Angimac

kiraSpark it was a few years ago and we did collect it from Hay Australia's old Muchea warehouse.
    Thanks Little Bean, maybe we just got a bad batch from them.
    When the next tooth is removed I will increase his hard feeds a bit and start adding some sugarbeet or veteran feed (he is a good doer so do not want to cause laminitis).

I will let my Stepdad know that Stockies think compressed feed is good.

Elvis has only one tooth missing at the moment, but has one almost ready to go next to it and a few on the opposite side. They will probably go in the same order.
    I have tried hosing to try and loosen the feed between the teeth but he clamps his mouth shut.
    Would putting bits of carrot in his water help loosen the feed?
    Any other ideas on getting compacted feed from the gums?
    (I actually googled this and in America they are brushing (told to do this by vet) the horse's front teeth. lol)

7. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

I have a side gag so I can get in and pick out the food without getting chomped on :p

My oldie won't have the hose in her mouth but I taught my filly to (ok allowed her) to chew the end of the hose while it was off and over time increased the flow from a trickle to enough to wash her mouth out.

It's harder with the older ones they tend to have their mind firmly made up *#)

8. Angimac

Little Bean if I go to saddler or stockfeeder and ask for a side gag will they know what I am talking about. I have only used snaffle bridles or halters.
    Will the side gag be safe for me, as Elvis tried to chew the dentist's arm off a couple of weeks ago. lol (He already had Elvis sedated in the crush and gagged with the metal bits over the front teeth but Elvis was still trying his hardest.)

The oldies are definitely set in their ways.