'Combat' Canvas Rugs?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Beauvelour, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Just wondering if anyone has had them and what do you think of them?

My horses need new canvas rugs this year and am just looking at some different ones as I have always had the Zilco Mountain rugs.

Then to decide lined or unlined, rug or combo.....decisions decisions *#)

one power ball and i will have skye park ones!!!

2. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I've had a couple of Combat canvases. I quite like them, for the price they are (pretty cheapish).

They seem indestructible and the fit was ok. One of mine slipped a bit but it was too big for the horse.

3. luffy

luffy Active Member

I have one that I got last winter, it seemed OK. I got a 6' 6" for my solid boy and it didn't even come close to fitting him (the skye park 6' 6" rugs are probably a tiny bit too big, so the combat are on the smaller side). Luckily I have another horse that is normally a 6' 3" and it fits him perectly.

4. Ants

Ants Well-known Member

i didnt have the best run with my 2 combats; shettie (4'3; a green one) has holes in it and the waterproofing didnt last long, small pony (5'0; a light blue, soft feeling canvas one) her's stretched really bad around the shoulders...

5. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

For cheap, midrange canvas rugs, i much prefer zilco over combat. The fit just seems a lot better.

6. Dusty Road

Dusty Road Well-known Member

My girl only wears Skye Park. You really get what you pay for. The Skye Park rugs are durable, good fitting rugs.

As for the lined vs unlined, I have unlined canvas rugs for my girl. Then I can add layers underneath, that way I can rug her for the weather, no matter what it is. I LOVE unlined canvas rugs! I try to have two sets of rugs so that I can change them and wash them or if they get wet through I have a nice dry rug to put on. Oh and rugs and hoods for me too. Have to keep her little face warm and dry :)

7. Beauvelour

Yeah this is what I was fearing, I saw one in our local saddlery and it looked nice and for the price i was wondering how long it would last

Oh DR trust me i wish I could afford Skye Parks.... am now looking at the Gladiator unlined - then I can add to it for warmth, also thinking rugs and neck rugs too :D

8. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

I've had a few Combat lined combos of various sizes and they've been pretty good. They fit my round horse and pony well, and have been quite durable. I put them through the washing machine at the end of every season - about 6 times to get them really clean, then re-waterproof them and pack them away for next year. Now that both horses have pretty much stopped growing (and stopped trashing their rugs!) they have Weathabeetas but I've kept the Combats as backups just in case the Weathabeetas need cleaning or mending.

Also have a Skye Park unlined canvas combo, was meant to be a 'heavy duty' but I was unimpressed with the flimsy cheap fittings, neck fastenings and leg straps came undone and clips and rings rusted in the first wear, rug was hanging off the horse's neck in the morning. Had crappy fittings replaced with stainless steel and cheap nylon leg straps replaced with plastic coated ones and it was then a great heavy duty until horsey outgrew it. Way overpriced for what it was IMO, but the canvas is a good quality and never ripped.

9. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Used the Combat canvas successfully for a few years a while back. So long as the rug was the right fit had no probs.

But without going into the whole canvas/synthetic debate lol I would never go back to canvas again.

10. Lil Dove

Lil Dove Well-known Member

I agree.

Has anyone else noticed that the sizing for the combats are a bit small? My girl is usually a 5'9 and i get 6's for her winter rugs, my combat is a 6' and her bum sticks out and its veryyy short length wise - you can see her belly. Other than that i'v had it for over 5yrs and its been through hell and back and still lives to see another winter *#)

And my zilco canvas is nice and roomy :) fits fine and is a 6'

11. Dusty Road

Dusty Road Well-known Member

Winter is a while of yet Beauvelour, so just save a little each pay until you can get what you really want.

This is what I do, I buy rugs after I have done a weekend on call or somethings similar, so that I can buy what I really want :D

12. Beauvelour

Lol here we go, I was debating for those days when you only need a rainsheet either to just get a synthetic with no fill or to get an unlined canvas. In your opinion NG why do you prefer the synthetics over the canvas. I have always had the canvas then the heavier sythentics for when its colder so at the moment i still use both..

I know winter is a while yet and thats why i am researching - im a rugoholic so I love spending time researching them haha!

13. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Sooo with you Nannygoat. I really don't like canvases.. I find them so heavy to change in winter when they're wet.

I do use them though on those days where it's not cold cold, but not warm enough to go naked.. they do breathe better.

14. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Oh and I have a zilco.. managed to survive Bess (who is a serial rug killer).

15. Beauvelour

Yep thats all I want them for too Lauren. I have the heavier synthetics for the colder days

16. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

Depends on the horse i guess i use synthetics for my old girl and minis but for my other one i have to use canvas rugs and neck rugs as she just sweats too much under synthetic ones doesnt matter even if it howling thunderstorms she gets hot its weird. Canvas material breathes better if the lining is made of wool not that other stuff. Synthetics dont breathe

Combats are not very good my minis one stretched out of shape around the shoulder/neck part i threw it away it was useless.#( zilcos are okay for rug destroyers as long as the fit good.

On the otherside i much prefer ones made by a lady in the east and you can buy them online and have them made to order if your horse is a weird size, i use them for all mine her rugs she does from minis through to big horses and are absoulety great quality without the huge pricetag. I still have woollen and other rugs which are going into their 4th season and still look brand new. Pm if you want their website details.:)

17. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

I still have the first one i bought 7 years ago, it's not got a rip in it and it's easy to double rug with when it gets really cold or the horse you're rugging is getting old. They do need to be water-proofed each year but i just use a spray that costs about $10 so much cheaper than a new rug every year