Colour Testing - Which one

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Sassy, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Is Agouti the right test to do if I wanted to determine if a horse is a Dark Bay/Brown or a Black? Or should I test for Black?
    Its not really vitally important I am just rather curious :p

If I do Agouti and it is neg, does that automatically make her Black?

In case your wondering - simply looking at her is not enough to tell the difference, because she doesnt have much colour to look at!!

2. mineees

mineees Gold Member

we are sending in a few tests this week, and one of them we are testing for red,black and agouti as its cheaper to do them all in one test rather than have a neg test come through and then retest for another colour later...:))

3. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Thanks T, is the $40US for all 3? I thought it was each :D
    That makes it easier lol

4. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Sassy, red/black factor is one test, and Agouti is another test, so its only 2 tests.

But to determine whether your horse is a true black, you only need to do the one test, the Agouti one. If the result comes back aa then the horse is a true black (in the absence of any other modifying genes).

Testing for extension (red/black) is only going to tell you this horse is Ee or EE, (she will not be ee as she is obviously not a chestnut!) which is only of any benefit to you if you wish to know if she can or cant have a red based foal. If she HAS had a red based foal in the past, then obviously she is Ee.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Is Agouti the right test to do if I wanted to determine if a horse is a Dark Bay/Brown or a Black? Yep **). Or should I test for Black? (red factor test) You already know she carries at least one copy of black cos she's not chestnut :). If she has a chestnut parent she will also carry one copy of red which would make a red factor test superfluous; if both parents are black based then she could be either homozygous or heterozygous for black (which a red factor test will tell you.)

Its not really vitally important I am just rather curious :p

If I do Agouti and it is neg, does that automatically make her Black? Sure does.

In case your wondering - simply looking at her is not enough to tell the difference, because she doesnt have much colour to look at!!

6. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

In the absence of any other modifying genes it does....:p

If for example I had a smokey black and didnt know it, I could send a test off to see if my horse is true black, and if the results come back aa - it doesnt automatically mean I have a true black as there could be other factors involved.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  7. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Thanks Guys!!

The mare's dam is a black silver and sire is a medicine hat with a tiny blotch on his head, I think he is bay....
    She has had one foal, a dark buckskin, to a Pally stallion. So she is def not a chestnut (it crossed my mind once that she might be a dark dark liver LOL) but no, baby ruled that one out :p
    She does NOT carry silver - that i can tell by looking ;)

So, basically... if its the same price to do both the Red/Black test and the Agouti test, then I should just do both :D
    Am getting her LWO tested altho I am reasonably confident she is neg, but want to check incase I breed her to an outside stallion :)

8. mineees

mineees Gold Member

they do all 3 for the same horse as a one price....:)

9. mineees

mineees Gold Member

chestnut is the only colour that can hide the silver...:)

10. Tintara

Correct but once you start going into all the various options ............*#). In this instance I took it as a given that the horse was a base colour as there was no mention of any dilutions at that point.

11. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

As said, I know she is NOT silver and NOT Chestnut, and she is not Cream. So she is either Dark Bay or Black.

For anyone curious as to why its difficult to tell - this is her (old photo but she hasnt changed colour!)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  12. Tintara

Which was precisely why I didn't go into the various modifying factors **) Can certainly see why DNA testing is about the only way you'll know which one she is :)*