Colour Question & what colour

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Sherrie, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I dont know much about genetics. Can a foal be a red dun if the parents are not but there is red duns in their blood lines? Can it skip generations?

This foal is from a sorrel paint bred mare (black P x chestnut P)
    and a bay/buckskin paint hasent been tested (buckskin QH x chestnut P)
    Both the shire and dam have red dun in their bloodlines only 4 generations and the other one 5 generations back. Both parents also have a lot of dilutes in their bloodlines Pallys, Buckys and even a couple pally duns.
    What colour could she be? In these photos she is a day old. Her skin, around eyes & privates were pink. But now at 5 days old around her eyes the pink has turned into a darker colour, both eyes still blue, not sure on skin colour at moment, her chestnut is still pale and her private is a little darker. She had couple of darker dots on privates. Her body colour is lighening.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry pics are so big i dont know how to shrint them.

2. She is a sorrel, Sherrie:)
    All red foals are born with pink skin on the eyelids, on a nose or on a fanny.
    Then the skin darkens up (3-5 days). A lot of them are born with blueysh greyish eyes as well.
    She is not a dun, she is just red.:D Dun factor can't skip generations.:)))
    By the way there are few red foals born with dorsal stripes, they look like "fake" duns.

3. mineees

mineees Gold Member

what Colibanqh said...beautiful foal by the way...:)

4. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

i know zilch about colour but do sorrel's / red / chestnuts can they come with blue eyes? or will her eyes change colour too or stay blue?

5. Paint bred horses can have blue eyes.
    I saw 3 purebred QHs (of the same bloodline) with one brown and one bright blue eye';'.
    Red foals eyes darken up as well as their skin. Some take longer than others, but they end up with dark eyes.
    lena

6. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

beautiful baby congrates:D
    cheers shyloh :):}

7. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Thanks Colibanqh for the help :)

8. ashlee

ashlee Active Member

Sherrie she is so beautiful :)
    cant wait for you to show her at the start of next year Scoot and her can be showing buddys :)

9. Marchador

Marchador New Member

As it has already been mentioned, sorrels can be born with dark countershading that does appear to be dun factor but isn't. This is Maggie. She was a sorrel foal I had born here 3 years ago. Her dam was a bay and sire a sorrel. Her countershading was very crisp and dark but was just countershading and not dun.

[​IMG]