colour question please

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by shaylee, Nov 25, 2010.

1. shaylee

shaylee Well-known Member

ok i have never had a bay foal before so was just wondering

i know when i had my bay gelding he had lovely black points and dark brown legs
    and brown all over no cream

are foals born with cream or buckskin coloured legs ?
    also do they (bays) have a dorsal stripe and black ears lol

glos legs are a real dark buckskin colour and where she is loosing her hair around her eyes nose and ears its jet black

her eyes and nose i can understand but wasnt sure about her ears they are jet black lol not brown at all and wasnt sure about the dorsal stripe

her tail is dark bay but has a lot of cream at the top not grey but cream

lol its gorgeous watching her colour change as she sheds her wooly coat but those buckskin legs have me stumped lol they are stunning and i hope she keeps them but thought id ask

2. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

ROFL... I was having this conversation with a friend recently :D I have never had a bay foal either. Plenty of brown foals but no bays.

I know that bays foals are born with creamy grey legs, same as buckskins (and in fact same colour as most black horses are born all over). But body colour is the one that I don't know what to look for when the alternative could be buckskin!

Hopefully people can put up some bay foal photos for us both :)

3. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

A dorsal stipe and black ears indicate dun... Any chance of that? Does the foal have any other dun factors like leg barring or a stripe down her shoulders? Hahah if not, probably just bay :D

4. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Here is Felix, a bay.
    He is now a lovely 'normal' bay with black legs, mane and tail.
    He was born with hardly any black on his legs, as you can see...

[​IMG]

5. shaylee

shaylee Well-known Member

are cool so they do change lol

the mothers father was a black (quinton)
    her father is a chestnut

will try and take some nice pics but she is a camera whore so taking nice pics is hard when all she wants to do is eat the phone(camera) lol

but sounds like all the bays start out the same so thats cool to know

mind you would have been nice to have a coloured one lol