colour query

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Emma16, May 10, 2008.

1. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Even without the true roan darker points? (head/legs).
    That i cant seem to wrap my head around... so i gather true roans dont have to have the darker points?

Di, he's a solid dilute, you can do both classes, hehehe. :D

2. RPM

RPM Well-known Member

Our first stallion years ago was by Dell Teras Paycheck as well. He was black with a few white hairs through him when we got him and as the years went on he ended up totally roaning out.
    After breeding minis for many years now and breeding every colour you can think of, I can tell you now that some foals that are born one colour do not end up the same colour as they get older. One horse can change colours so many times. :D

3. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

haha.. that would solve all arguments hey!!

RPM what colour is Chianti??

4. RPM

RPM Well-known Member

Hahaha don't go there, she is all different colours, every time I clip her she changes colour but on her papers she is down as a silver dapple taffy

5. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

yeah I think everytime I have seen her she has been a differnent shade..lol I have just been on the colour genetics site and there is a horse very similar to her colour tested as a silver bay.. often confused whith chestnut.. she is definately a stand out in the crowd colour **)

6. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

Is roan a solid colour?

7. samm

samm Gold Member

Roan is considered a pattern as its rn gene acting over a base coat which produces the white hairs through the coat .ie chestnut roan=ch base+ rn gene ,Blue Roan =Black base +rn gene ,bay roan =bay base+ rn gene.
    Theres only two colours red and black ,everything else is a pattern or modifier.

8. samm

samm Gold Member

A ch roan mare
    in Summer coat
    [​IMG]

In winter coat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. JessiTrist

So what about Chickies colour hen, shes obviously not solid, but shes not dilute either (or cant be registered as) but then again she cant be rego'd appy either, so i guess it doesnt really matter what colour she is :(
    [​IMG]

10. samm

samm Gold Member

Looks like a Varnish pattern to me.

11. JessiTrist

Do you have any info on that? Im really quite colour-dumb hhe only ever owned bays before :p

12. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Samm, great pics as to me, that is a "true" roan.
    Every roan i've met is like your girl, lighter body (hairs mixed) with the typical darker points. :)

13. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

I would agree with varnish Jess, you will find she will whiten more and more as the years go on, i have a 17yr appy here who is basically white with chestnut ears and legs.

As for toby to me he looks chestnut, not roan and just a face with lots of ticking. But they can change colours a fair bit in there first year. My grey born foal you thought would of been a black but he is brown, i know a chestnut born that is no pitch black. You have to look at what the possibilties are. To have roaning you must have a roan parent, same with grey and dilute. But having said that just because you have one or two parents roan doesnt mean you will get roan.
    I find this site quite useful as it goes into alot of the modifiers. -http://www.animalgenetics.us/CCalculator1.asp

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  14. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Heres 1 for you... my Small Horse mare, she's registered as "Dark brown roan spotted".
    Her sire is black but her dams colour noted as unknown.

Show condition.

[​IMG]

Paddock cond.

[​IMG]

She has the darker legs but not the head (well does in the 1st pic, she was younger then too)? :D

15. samm

samm Gold Member

Yep she's a true roan that one.
    If you notice in this pic that was just taken half hour ago she's not quite as white in the body.Quite interesting as in previous winters shes been very white in the body(compare to earlier pics posted).
    [​IMG]

Just google Varnish Appaloosa Jess,you should get plenty of info.

16. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Samm....what a lovely mare she is....is she infoal:confused:

17. samm

samm Gold Member

Thanks Shell.We call her the little princess cos its dont touch me I'm the little princess.By geez its a snot but can it move !lol
    Nah not yet,she's only 3 rising 4.She'll go in foal to Tap this year.

18. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Yep i see what you mean, but you can still see the intermix of hairs, whereas her head is still "chestnut".
    Bloody nice pony & colour. (she's a fatty, lol) :D

19. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Gee, well she does look like as if she was infoal...must be all that grass lol

20. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Ok Em, just got a very indepth email from a friend & she explains the colours well & does her research.

Basically this is what is said:

The mare in the colour thread is CHESTNUT, however, she is carrying the Sabino gene which has caused the ticking (does not need white legs – she has blaze that goes over bottom lip & under chin). Sterling Paper Money is not grey! Needs a grey parent to be grey. His sire is, um, ‘red roan’ & his dam is BAY.
    See other post re this horse & another stockie member did his amps rego & has supplied details…. So he IS a silver dapple but he could also be carrying the Sabino gene, which could have accounted for a reddish tinge to his coat as a youngster. There is a mare similar to the chestnut on www.miniequineaustralia.com under Sabino. Dell Teras Paycheck is by a black tobiano but his dams colour is not mentioned (allbreedpedigree).
    There is a grandson of his on ******* & he has been DNA tested silver & they call him a silver red roan. However, he is NOT a true roan, it is the Sabino gene at work & the silver gene , obviously as he’s been tested. I expect that his g/sire was that colour too. If you check out this website, find foal ********. They are calling it a cremello (silvers cant produce double dilutes & dam appears to be a grey – dark muzzle!) but click on one of the small foal photo’s. He is a maximum SABINO. He cannot be a cremello purely on his breeding & he has a pale chestnut topline in his foal shot & I have seen cremello foals, they look like blue-eyed palomino’s when young. This confirms the Sabino coming through from Dell Teras Paycheck. It is not Rabicano ticking as there is no coon tail. I love samm's chestnut roan welshie, she is stunning! You are correct with your sumerisations re Roan & roan is NOT a colour & should always be prefixed with the base colour ( black, bay etc.)
    I reckon that your mare is a varnish Palouse & as you don’t know her dams colour, who’s to say?

Very interesting & great to read. Enjoy & also "my friend" should join stockies as she has alot of great info to share. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2008