colour query

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Emma16, May 10, 2008.

1. Emma16

Emma16 Well-known Member

hi guys....
    what colour do you say these ponies would be?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pso

pso Gold Member

I'd say chestnut...but maybe I'm just jealous cos Wb's arent allowed to be dilute!:p (had a pally that could only be regd as grey or chestnut...*cough*)
    Could roan out later...:D

3. Emma16

Emma16 Well-known Member

i meant mare and colt;)

4. pso

pso Gold Member

well, mare is roan...colt chestnut...possibly roan later!:p

but then...I dont DO colours!

5. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

They all look varying shades of orange to me.....but I dont 'do' colours either....thats why I stick with bay....:D

6. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Roan

To get roan, you need 1 roan parent.
    The mare above's sire is Silver & her dam, chestnut (but then she could be roan & reg wrong, never know, lol.... :D)

The mare's head is similarly coloured to her body. Every roan i've met (owned 1, chestnut roan welsh A) have darker points (head/legs).

I'd personally colour test the mare.

Delrae, i forgot but what colour is Toby/Junior's dad reg as?

7. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

see......Kylie 'does' colours LOL!

8. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

that was a cool link thanks remaani!!!

off to finish reading...

:)

9. RPM

RPM Well-known Member

I would say she is a roan as her sire was roan who greyed out (now gets called a silver due to this) and his sire was a red roan. So she would be a roan and chances are her foal will eventually roan out as he gets older.

10. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

George form memory is registered as a minimal framed chestnut overo by a chestnut framed overo from a black mare

Roaning can vary greatly a copy from the link you put up
    "Strawberry Roan is the result of the dominant Roan ("Rn") gene modifying Red (sorrel or chestnut).
    Like all red-based horses, the points may be any shade of red, white, gold, silver, grey, or brown, even very dark brown - just not pure black."

I would say that they are roans but because Morgan's dad is a silver it is not text book

11. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

Oh, RPM I have just read your post after posting, so SPM is not a silver... now that is interesting, do you know what colour his mum was??

12. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Well then that changes everything!!
    Hahaha!!

I never knew, thats interesting.....

Here is a pic of a stallion thats a 1/2 brother to Delrae's mare (sired by SPM), he produced a black silver to my black tobiano mare (whom as of yet, i have not heard of her having a chestnut foal on the ground).

[​IMG]

This is the colt by the fella above.

[​IMG]

Again, i find this interesting, Delrae, i'd still have her colour tested as its always good to know 100%. **)
    I still think a "true" roan has the darker points which neither do, they both have white ticking on their faces.
    Sabino roan maybe? Lol.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2008
  13. RPM

RPM Well-known Member

I THINK SPM dam was taffy.

14. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

yep, it is interesting.. and the thing is if they are chestnut carrying silver it could well be disguised, unless a silver is produced as in the case of your colt

yes I think a colour test would be the way to go

15. RPM

RPM Well-known Member

SPM was by Dell Teras Paycheck who was a Red Roan

16. Remaani

Remaani Guest

RPM, what colour do you think Dancer (above the black silver foal) is?
    To me, he doesnt look true roan......

17. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

Exactly.. RPM, that means SPM was a chestnut roan carrying silver which is why he is producing silver's as do his progeny, which is what I have been saying all along.. Junior and possibly Toby are dilutes

Remaani Dancer has to be a chestnut roan carrying silver to produce a silver, roans can be varying shades especially red or strawberry roans whichever you want to call them

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  18. Emma16

Emma16 Well-known Member

so i should get him tested?

19. RPM

RPM Well-known Member

I am no colour expert but to me he looks roan.
    The thing is with these stallions being so old and of course changing colours as they get older (like alot of minis do) their colour always seem to get changed on their papers as the years go by, especially as the generations gets older.
    All I know is that SPM's sire was definetly a Red Roan and I saw SPM as a roan many years ago.

20. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

probably would solve a lot of arguments whe nyou show him Em as with Junior some would say dilute and some say solid.. if he is a chestnut carrying silver then he is a dilute, if he isnt he is a solid, but I am 99% sure he is a roan which will show more as he gets older and he could well be carrying the silver gene as SPM obviously was