Colour experts in Here

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by mysticmoondancer04, Jun 14, 2011.

1. mysticmoondancer04

mysticmoondancer04 Well-known Member

I recently purchased this colt. I was wondering what colour you think he is.

He is an Arabian Pony colt by Arabian stallion CHASWYCK DESERT LEGEND who was a chestnut (Gone Grey) and his dam is an Australian Pony Mare BEELO-BI BLACK LACE who was born Buckskin (Gone Grey)
    When I bought him I was told he was a Brown but someone else mentioned it was possibly he was Black Buckskin.

Obviously there is no way to tell for sure unless he is colour tested. I am not fusses on his colour as I like him regardless but just interested in other peoples opinions. **)

Foal Pics (Picture Credit Christie Boyland)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First Show
    [​IMG]
    Now (Of course in his winter woolies)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

He looks like a burnt buckskin to me. He's gorgeous btw.

3. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Some of his foal pics it looks like it's possible but the older ones don't seem to show much sign of it! Altho there are plenty of "black" horses out there hiding the cream gene, definitely worth getting him tested for it :)*

4. mysticmoondancer04

Thats what I thought as well, only sign of it in his winter coat (which is about 2 inches thick LOL) is around his eyes, the rest of him is really dark atm, those recent pics were taken about a month ago when I first got him

Thanks wawa **) I really like him too and he is the sweetest boy

5. He could be a bay or brown. We have foals looking exactly like him and they were born bays. Within 5-12 months they started looking like blacks or browns.
    Without testing for Cr you'd be guessing...:)))
    lena

6. samm

samm Gold Member

Burnt buckskin.The inside ear colour is typical of burnt buckskin/smokey black.

7. mysticmoondancer04

I agree coliban, as mentioned I dont mind what colour. I probably will test for Cr at a later date but was just more interested in what people thought.
    If he doesnt carry Cr I would more say he is brown rather than bay as he almost looks black (Yes I know he is not a black lol)

8. mudslide

mudslide Well-known Member

I think he is a buckskin especially in his foal pics as he has the buckskin characteristics

9. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

I think there is a chance that he's buckskin, or maybe even smokey black. But I'd say that if there's no Cr there, he's definitely brown.

10. mysticmoondancer04

Thanks **) when I get around to colour testing ill have to get him registered as a bucky if the test returns positive for Cr

11. mysticmoondancer04

Havent had a chance to do the colour test yet but will get there anyway here is an updated piccie of my boy MJ with nearly his summer coat. He is still moulting a bit lol

[​IMG]

12. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

My money is on brown buckskin - does he have Bamborough Siam in him because he is a very similar colour. With black and brown buckskins it is often the birth colour that gives them away because they darken so much as they mature but most are generally born some shade of buckskin. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule :). The other giveaway is the cream hair in the ears but again, that exception rule ............

13. mysticmoondancer04

His dam is Beelo-Bi Black Lace who is by Siam :)