Colour Enhancement

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Scooper, May 19, 2011.

1. Scooper

Scooper New Member

I recently purchased my dream pony (a gorgeous 16month old Pally QHXTb gelding with 3 white socks and a blaze called Zeke) as I have never had a Pally I was wondering if there were any feeds to avoid or feeds that will bring out or enhance his colouring?
    I have attatched a couple pics below.
    He is currently on Oaten Chaff, Lucerne Chaff, Grower & Weaner Pellets, Weetbix and a good mineral mix with 24/7 access to hay

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! XD :))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I can't really help you sorry but nice horse! :)

I too have a Pali, pictured below (clipped) & i'm not too fussed if he hasn't got much colour back as i haven't Reg him as a Palomino (just Appendix Colour Reg so colour not as important..).
    I am not feeding any thing for coat, but hopefully others with Pali's can help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

if he has the smut gene than it does not matter what you feed he will tend to go smutty. If he has this gene then you will have to feed only white feed but we are lucky and feed ours oats AND lucerne hay and chaff and never had a problem.

Livamol is great, Sunflower hulls are also good. Is hard being winter to judge most pally's colour. Only a true pally (born pink or apricot) will maintain their colour year round with only a slight variation in colour. Most pally's are seasonal and will lighten to almost white in winter and go a nice golden colour in Summer.

4. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

Ahhh you brought Zeke. If it is the Zeke I am thinking of he will darken up into a beautiful golden pally come spring when he sheds his winter coat.
    Not much you can do now that he has sprung a winter coat to improve colour.
    Just concentrate on feeding him a balanced diet for his age now to help ensure he has a good coat later in the year. Then keep him rugged with a cotton throughout summer to prevent sun bleaching.

What you are feeding sounds good....minus the wheatbix (never understood why people feed horses wheatbix...wheat IMO is chook food).

Zeke (provided he is the same boy I am thinking about) does not have the smut gene.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  5. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

OH and congrats a nice looking horse there

6. Stockmans Farm

Stockmans Farm Active Member

I Feed Hygain to my paint stallion and it makes him SOOO dark and gives him dapples he looks fab!

Weetbix are good for removing sand from a horses gut, they swell in the stomach and pick up the sand and out it goes!!

7. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Which feed, Showtorque, Grotorque?
    :)

8. Stockmans Farm

Stockmans Farm Active Member

I feed grotorque as it keeps the condition on them!!

It is on the expensive side ($40 a bag) but I was feeding pony cubes, museli, livamol etc but now I dont need all that as it's in the Hygain so it has worked out a little cheaper!