Colour Cunfused

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by CazzaRanne, Feb 29, 2012.

1. CazzaRanne

CazzaRanne New Member

I am a bit confused as to what colour my mare is. She is registered as black and has been as black as can be since the day I got her over twelve months ago but over the past week or soo she has started to brown out on her chest, flanks and legs. Is there such colour as black bay????

These pics were taken the other day while it was raining so not the best for seeing the colour on her chest. The colour on her chest has spread to under her front leg and is now changing near her elbow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Could be bleaching from either sweat, sun or maybe rain...

Or she could just be a brown horse ;)

3. CazzaRanne

CazzaRanne New Member

Well thats what I thought at first but I have been stalling her if it even thinks about rain because she has been getting a build up of dirt/dry skin on her back and rump when ever it rains and she becomes very uncomfortable. Also it cant be sweat because she was very sick for a while and I have only just started getting her back into but nothing hard enough to get a sweat up because she is still very light so dont want to push her to hard yet, also it hasnt been hot enough.

Do you know if there are any feeds that would change a horses colour???? At the moment she is on a high concentrate weight gain mix, pollard, steamed barley, working horse mix and a good amount of chaff as well as oaten hay and as much grass as she can eat lol.

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

feeds have a huge impact on the colour of some horses.
    Does your horse have enough copper? That can make a hroses coat go red.
    Try feeding some sunflower seeds and see what happens.
    Livermol will also blacken up the coat.

5. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

"Black bay" usually refers to a horse with black points but is a not a true black on it's body. It isn't a brown due to the black points.

In your horses case I would say that the lighter colour could be due to sweat or something in the horse's diet.

6. That type of coloring is often referred to as "seal" bay. They have lighter muzzle and lighter underflank areas.

7. monomeeth

monomeeth Well-known Member

You said she's been very sick recently. It could be related to that. She might have drained her body of certain reserves while sick. We all know colour goes light or odd in horses that have been neglected or wormy. This could be similar. My bet is, if she is back to full health, she will darken back up when she gets her next coat.

Cheers,

Mono

8. Black_Storm

Black_Storm Active Member

I would say she is a seal brown like my mare her body is as black as black but brown in the same areas as yours she is my profile pic. :) feed does affect this colour i find and sun bleaching too well on my mare any way.

9. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

yep i'm going seal brown too... seems to be a really common mistake made when registering horses ;)