Colour changes in Knabstrupper Filly

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by belambi, Dec 17, 2012.

1. belambi

belambi Active Member

she is not an appaloosa.. but knabstrupper! :stir::rockon::)):}*#)

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1926832/Brunhilda. Video futurity.wmv

2. belambi

belambi Active Member

3. belambi

belambi Active Member

4. belambi

belambi Active Member

5. belambi

belambi Active Member

6. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

Really interesting colour changes there, she's getting her spots!

7. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

very interesting colour changes and CUTE to boot :) you must be very happy with her. just curious though on the knabstrupper, where does it come from I know its roughly a warmblood with spots... where did the spots come from whats the heritage breed that gave them the spots?

8. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Danish Inkibah :)

Yes it's a warmblood :)

I work on a Knabbie stud :) We have a loud leopard, two blankets, a few spot and the Varnish stallion at work :)

At one show my boss took her AWHA registered Knabbie blanketed gelding, she was told by the judge "I used to breed Appies too" She was gobsmacked! The judge didn't even check the breeds she was judging. Ah well, hopefully the more I get the boys out there the better :)

9. belambi

belambi Active Member

Basically, before stud books were created, the leopard gene was relatively common.
    It has PREhistorical significance.

International Researchers Examine DNA of Prehistoric Horses to Discover “Appaloosa-Like” Genes | Equine Chronicle Online

DNA Study Sheds Light On Ancient Cave Paintings Of Horses - Science News - redOrbit

Many studbooks USED to have spots.. perhaps the best known one being the Lipizzaner.

http://colorgenetics.info/equine/gallery/historical-horses/imperial-stud-lipizzaner-horses

Then the Knabstrupper breed was founded
    LarenStud - History of the Knabstrupper

10. belambi

belambi Active Member

11. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

thanks for the extra info guys :) feel much more clued in on the breed now.

Looks like they are become more and more popular I have a friend on fb that has bred several of them. cant wait to see all the spotty babies out in action :) (when they grow up of course)