colic receipe

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by remi, May 9, 2008.

1. remi

remi New Member

hi i have just bought john o"learys receipe for colic preventionhas anyone used it, and how did you find it.
  2. sil

sil Gold Member

I've used it for some time and really appreciate the results. The only time my TB mare has had colic (she's a messy pig) were when she was way overdue to get the drench in her feed.
  3. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

@) Hi Remi and welcome to Stockies! If you do a search on "preventing Colic" it will come up with a few threads about it. I use the drench on my horse and have found it to be great!**)
  4. Happypaint

Happypaint Well-known Member

Hi Remi,

I too have a copy of the HP remedy but haven't plucked up the courage to use it yet as in previous threads discussions have been quite heated about it. Some have had great results from it and others are quite against it. I am still really open to trying it so will be really keen to see what results you get. At the moment I am giving my girls mashed pumpkin in their feed once a week and that seems to be helping them to pass the sand. I tried the psyllium husk treatment for a few months but both my mare and filly had to be drenched still (mare about 4 weeks ago and filly last Tues). I have only been using the pumpkin for about a week but can definitely see the results from it.

It is so hard deciding as to what method of sand prevention treatment to use as everyone has a different opinion on each method and all horses are individuals. I am at the moment just trying to find out what works best for our two and finding out as much info on all methods as possible. I will be watching this thread with interest. **)
  5. Karijini

Karijini Well-known Member

I've purchased the recipe and also used it with fantastic results. Having said that, my horses came down with colic 3 weeks ago. I should have given him the recipe just as the new rains came to contend with the new grass. Have now marked on the calender to do him just before summer, and then just before winter again so twice yearly.

You can only give it a try? If it works it's MUCH cheaper than a vet! :D
  6. sil

sil Gold Member

I tend to give it 4 times a year as right now it's still pretty sandy and dry - can't hurt.
  7. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

I think O'Leary recommends twice yearly! My opinion is that the ingredients used would not hurt. But as stated in other threads, some people don't agree! Each to their own!**)
  8. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Hi Remi

I went to John O'Leary's website and really his very own best advice to avoid sand colic was just good horse management - mainly feeding LOADS of hay. At least 6 biscuits a day! So I don't see why you need to buy a special product too - even from him! :)

Also there's a study (sorry can't find link right now) showing hay beats psyllium in shifting sand out of guts. Haven't seen research checking out pumpkin mash tho. It's hard to tell what has worked or if you've been lucky, unless you have a big trial to compare treatments with. There's so much sand colic in Perth I wonder somebody hasn't run a trial on prevention (any vet/equine studies honour students- looking for a topic?)

I see heaps of people underfeeding hay (can't help being nosy) and often these are the first to get hit this time of year. The horses are eating little sand castles with each mouthful of new grass.
  9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Well my QHX gelding has been on ad lib oaten rolls for the last 3 years and he has still had 3 episodes of sand colic in 12 months!!!

He is just such a chronic hoover and anything is fair game to him!#( :mad:

I have even used Johns recipe mid last year and he still suffers from sand.

I have tried everything!:} :confused:
  10. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Caroline - rolls of hay and he's still eating sand? *#) What a naughty boy! I also have a QH X gelding and he grubs in the sand like a little piggy - always after the oats:D So far he's lucky and never had colic (though am touching wood right now!!)

Like people - they have different table manners, some dainty and others sloppy and throw back roots and all. But at the moment it's extra hard for any to pick grass from roots. I've heard windsuckers do it tuff cause if front teeth are worn it's all hoovered down (is this true?)
  11. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

So, is this just plain mashed pumpkin? Any sort of pumpkin? And once a week?
  12. Happypaint

Yep........plain old pumpkin from the supermarket boiled whole with seeds and skin, mashed and put in their normal feed. I give mine about 500gm once a week at the moment but apparently you can give it 2-3 times a week. The gentleman that suggested using pumpkin (he is a breeder/breaker/farrier and is very knowledgeable) has been using it on his horses for over 25 years and has had great success with it. I had also seen previous colic threads on Stockies where people had mentioned using it with success so thought I would give it a try. Seems to be helping so far.

I like the fact that it is a vegetable therefore natural. Someone has mentioned to me that it could strip the lining of the stomache but I am not sure about this. Don't pumpkins come under the same umbrella of Tubular vegetables, as do carrots and we give lots of those to our horses. I will be keeping an eye out for symptoms of this though.

I mentioned to our vet last week when he came out to drench our filly that I had given her the mashed pumpkin 3 days before and she had since passed a lot of sand. He agreed that it did help to shift the sand (the shifting sand was prob why she had a tummy ache) and he didn't say anything about it hurting the lining of her stomache. He also re iterated the need for lots of hay to prevent sand, which we do, but obviously more than lots of hay is needed with our girls.

We gave the horses pumpkin last Friday and the next morning you could see the passed sand in their manure.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else that has used the pumpkin treatment.
    Last edited: May 12, 2008
  13. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Are your horses quite happy to eat the pumpkin?
  14. Happypaint

Yep **)
    The first time I gave it to them they gave us that........"Ok there's something different here" look but ate it all and then kept going back to see if there was anymore and kept licking their feed bins. :D
  15. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

How odd.....and yet very interesting!
  16. Happypaint

Just to edit my previous post.............

Pumpkins are from the squash family and carrots are a root vegetable. (thanks to google) Both still a vegetable though and both contain Keratin and other similar vitamins and minerals.

As I said it would be interesting to hear of others experiences with using it and any side effects they have encountered.
  17. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

So would I - just before I toddle home to put the pumpkin in the pot!!
    Can't see why this wouldn't be worth a try - I just LOVE pumpkin!
  18. Happypaint

I just LOVE pumpkin too! My Hubby and 3 boys won't eat it so at least now I can cook some up for myself while I do the horses batch :p
  19. I'm going to try pumkin it sounds very interesting. I currently use phsylium mashed with mollases, oil and a dash of bran for a week once a month plus plenty of chaff and hay. My girl has only had colic once and that was the first week i got her over 11 years ago now. The pumkin definitely will be tried and tested.

Ta Sue
  20. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

i use psyllium in feed for old boy (23yrs)every 3 weeks for past few years coz hes a labrador of the horse world and had colic once but i kind of over dosed him that week :( and my 6yo has psyllium pellets for 4 days every week and had colic once and vet think it was the fact he was wormed at same time as well as increased work load and hot weather not from sand :)