"Colic" - Pet Plan Insurance

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Sallie, Oct 23, 2008.

1. astraia

astraia Guest

This is why you need to read the fine print. Another thing in the pet plan cover is that:

"The cost of any veterinary treatment or alternative treatment your horse receives after 12 months from the date the injury happened or the illness first showed clinical signs" will NOT be covered.

This means if your horse has an ongoing illness it will only be covered for 12 months worth of treatment. I assume it is the same with colic. They will pay you out for colics that occur within 12 months after the first one but after the first 12 months post- colic you won't be covered.

2. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

Is this the case for most other insurance companies?

3. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

I have petplan. My mare had a ropeburn injury to her right pastern before I insured her. Although it is ugly now it does not affect her, it is just cosmetic. I disclosed this as it was treated by a vet. I also disclosed her treatment for a pyrexic episode a year ago that was treated with ABs at the vets for 3 days. In my policy they have chosen to not cover for any injuries or issues relating to the right pastern but her illness last has not led to any exclusions (i assume because it was not a specifric disease process just some virus). I am happy to accept the policy, just got to hope if she injures herself somehow its to that right leg!

4. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

Yeah well petplan seems great, but this colic thing is kindof bothering me...
    Everything else is great - the rates, the things they cover etc.
    I guess I just hope he doesnt need colic surgery or something. It's still worth it I know but it's just very frustrating! I am assuming they all have this rule...

5. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

The same as health insurance for a person. If you have a pre existing heart condition that is documented then they will more than likely exclude that condition. It is very standard and normal practice. By doing this they minimise their risk ( so to speak ) of having to pay a claim.

Why would they want to cover something they know is going to cost them a lot more than any premium they will get. They are a business and at the end of the day, they exist to make a profit.

Would you buy a car that you knew had serious mechanical faults knowing that it will cost you more to fix in the first 12 months than the car is worth?#(

To most it sounds like they are being harsh but it's actually very realistic.

6. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

yes a heart condition is one thing, but i have never heard of an insurance company excluding tummy ache..which is all colic is.. they would be more specific to the cause of the tummy ache hence the reason you have blood tests and medicals when applying for health insurance

7. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

I'm sure it is realistic, and probably very justified.
    It's just odd because colic is so common - and there are no exceptions. Mild colic occuring once is considered the same as reoccuring colic month after month.
    It's frustrating yes, but yeah they have their reasons. And like you said, in it for the profit - which is fair enough.
    Hmmph I'm so undecided!

8. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

Prescisely why it is excluded, some horses have a predisposition to it and others don't. Once they have colic generally it is more likely to occur in that horse ergo if a horse has had colic they will not cover it for any other colic episodes.