Colic article and treatments?????

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by moodymare, Mar 19, 2008.

1. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

ok so I have always been told when your horse has colic you get it drenched, now after reading an article in a well known horse mag it said that parrafin oil wont move the sand as sand is heavier and the oil just slides over, it does say that it helps with impaction as it pushes it out but if they have flatulent or spasmodic colic it can make it worse not to mention a twisted intestine,adding parrafin to that would either rupture the stomach/intestine or start pouring back out the nose!.
    So after taking all precuations against sand ingestion, what is the best way to move sand out of a horse that tends to vaccumme their paddock?
  2. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Hay hay hay hay hay (and some more hay!) Lol! A single drenching will not remove an accumulation of sand, it will stir it up, repeated drenchings will have to be performed over time to remove a big sand build up, but ad lib hay is the best preventative. It keeps the gut moving and pushes the sand out. Paraffin oil with warm (not cold!) water and epsom salts is the best drench I have been told by a very good vet for ahorse with acute sand colic. I follow his advice and have been fine (touch wood) so far. I drench after spell each year and provide ad lib hay even when the grass is plentiful, and don't feed too much concentrate, as little as possible.
  3. palomino6661

palomino6661 Active Member

a vet told me the other day to get some sort of lube. if the vets use parafan oil to remove colic they would be using somthing els i guess. but if a horse rolls it may be a chance to get a twisted intestine ect thats y its better to catch it befor it gets worst more sand been left in there the more it hurts them. that what i know mine just ate bailing twine and it almost killed me and the horse.
  4. moodymare

unfortunately my mare is one of those really good doers so hay is not an option as she will founder again, mind you I have a very cheap feed bill!!!!LOL, she only gets one biscuit a day for breakfast, then grazes for 5 hrs then a very small hard feed for dinner and is in full work, I have seen a product called sand lube but am not game to try it with out seeing what results other people have had. no colic last year but I am worried that the sand is building now
  5. moodymare

she also gets bad nose bleeds after a drench so the vet is apprehensive to use drenching as a preventative measure
  6. Jumping Bean

Sand Lube is psyllium husk, just an expensive way to buy it! Maybe try soaking her hay? It will reduce the soluble sugars in the hay if soaked for an hour and drained for an hour.
  7. palomino6661

yeah i agree jumping bean but he may have ulcers to so i would be asking the vet out again and asked if he might do. i wouldnt be feeding him hay just in case its prob why hes weeing on it. i would be asking for the paste to see how he goes on it ill get the name of it for you.
  8. Big Bay Booga

Big Bay Booga Well-known Member

I have a few friends that use Berg oil? I don't really know enough about it to use it on my horse but does anyone else use it with results.

The Big Bay Booga hasn't been oiled for 2 years but I have noticed that his poo's are smaller than normal. I still have gut sounds and he is still happy and healthy, hmmm maybe I am an over protective horse mumma;)

Oops sorry I thinks me might have just hijacked a thread.
  9. finding_nemo

finding_nemo Active Member

I use Mr HP's recipe for sand colic for prevention and it works fantastically. I just mix it up with the feed and lock the horse up until he eats it all. You will be amazed at the amount of sand in the poop afterward and the horses appear to glow in health too. Mine got dapples afterward.
  10. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

Hi Finding Nemo - think I know you ??:)

Another vote for lots of hay and if you need to drench HPs recipe is definately a winner.

Check out this link:
    Has heaps of info about studies carried out that prove pysllium and parrafin oils don't really work when it comes to removing sand

Horse Problems Australia talks about Sand Colic in Horses
  11. Feuer

Feuer Guest

Yes...I feel like I am repeating myself so much'Learys colic remdey is the me! My mare I cant feed a lot of hay to....and can get quite colicky...but not now with the remedy...please do your horse a favour :D
  12. Jumping Bean

I personally wouldn't use the remedy, I am very uneasy about the whole thing. But if it works for others that is great :). Ad lib hay and yearly drenching is what works for me, and comes vet recommended, I must stress that the paraffin oil alone WILL NOT be as effective as combining it with epsom salts. Berg oil petrifies me :eek: . But it comes down to what works for you and your horses, and what you feel comfortabe with. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, other than minimise sand intake and worm regularly, and allow plentiful access to long stem roughage. Then cross your fingers! Colic is one of those rotten aspects of horses.
  13. Jumping Bean

I have been drenching my horses with this for donkeys years, as a yearly preventative and also more aggressively when one did have colic (24 hours after I bought him :( buckets of sand came out of the poor fellow) and I have never had any issues with stripping stomach lining. I keep a bag of epsom salts in the feed shed and whenever a drench is needed, I add warm water and epsom salts, does the trick :). I am very careful with drenching ott's however - as they often have gastric ulcers. They don't get a drench for a good 6-12 months, just mountains of hay.
  14. palomino6661

beer and epsom salt down his neck the old bushies used to give them. 2 bottles a day after each other might do the trick. thats what i been told.
  15. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

I have heard the beer trick too. I was recommended it when my mare went down with colic last year and the vet was hours away. I am pretty sure you have to make sure its flat though.

I did try it,but ended up wearing most of it. I was told berg oil too but didn't have any and being saturday night (of course!) I couldn't go and get some. Luckily the vet made it in time and drenched her and she is fine now.

My gelding can't be drenched as the vet couldn't get the tube down his oesophagus and he got colic two weeks after the mare, we had a lot of rain early in the season. All the vet could do was give him painkillers (he was on them for two days) and hope for the best.

I had been feeding both of them monthly recommended doses of psyllium husks, and oil is regularly added to their feed. Obviously this didn't work.

After that ordeal, I drenched my gelding using HP's recipe and so far so good. He was quite off for about 2 weeks after his bout of colic and the vet was worried about him getting it again but after using HP's drench, he perked right up and hasn't had a problem. I now use it every couple of months in both my horses feed and must admit they look pretty good afterwards. I think its the best product I have tried so far!
  16. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Jumping Bean, how do you give them the warm water and epsom salts?
  17. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

Hey JB, just wondering what part of John's drench you are uneasy about?? I am not trying to start a fight, just want to clarify some things!:)
  18. Big Bay Booga

Big Bay Booga Well-known Member

What or how can I find Mr HP's recipe or can someone pm it to me:confused:

Ta muchly
  19. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

20. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

go to

Horse Problems Articles for Sale

you can purchase the recipe for their sand colic remedy. He will send it out pretty quickly. Just mix the ingredients as directed and follow the instructions

You will be surprised at whats in it!!