Clydesdale / quarter horse cross ???

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by shortcruise, Oct 7, 2008.

1. shortcruise

shortcruise New Member

Hi all

Myself and a few friends have been pondering this one for a while. In the horse sales mags there seems to be alot of people breeding Clydie/Quarter horse crosses. Does anyone have any idea on why this type of outcross?

Is it soley for temperament or performance? I can only imagine ending up with one heck of a chunky looking horse out of it but I could be wrong. Does anyone have one and what sort of riding do they use the horse for. Any thoughts??

2. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Sorry but my thought is...why would you :confused:

So I'd like to know aswell **)

Cheers
    Lee

3. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I have only ever owned 1 Clydy 1/4 cross and he was a right bastard to break, could buck like nothing else, and was very handy with his back feet.

Having said that, once I got him sorted, he was one of the most sane and reliable horses that we have ever owned.

So they can be hard work, and not a cross that I would breed personaly. Not athletic enough for my tastes.

4. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Yes I would have to agree with the two posters above.
    Too chunky for my liking. Not a cross I would ponder on. :)

5. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

These days not all QH are chunky, alot are influenced by TB :) I wouldnt judge the cross itself, but the 2 individual horses being crossed.

I think Jessitrists mare is Clydie x Appy? and she is a gorgeous mare & type :)

6. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

You dont have to tell me Sass, we breed QHs, and mostly to TBs too! :)*
    JTs mare is also too rangy for me, I like em finer, and from memory the dam wasnt too big either, I could just imagine with a big QH mare x Clydie what the foal would be like....huge!

7. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

I bought Chickie because she is what I want, I am a heavier rider and dont like the niggling comments when I ride a fine horse. I picked the sort of cross I wanted before I saw Chickie, and she is perfect for me. I only plan on doing some bush riding, low level eventing and just hae fun with her. She is going to be with me for life, so when I chose her I didnt have to think of re-sale value. Her dam was a more thoroughbred type appaloosa though.

If I ever bred Chickie with intention of selling the foal I would breed her to a TB or WB to make a finer, more versatile horse.

8. playin bb

playin bb New Member

i saw someone doing jumping with a clydie x, wasnt sure what the cross was though

9. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

A lot of Clydie croses are competing in eventing, hell, in all disciplines! Most are 1/4 Clydie.

10. shaz71

shaz71 Well-known Member

well for something different in the performance horse mag yesterday someone over east is breeding qh/welsh x's.

the one advertised was a 13hh bucky nicley put together though, but like you say.. why?????

:confused:

11. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Probably because they're breeding Quarter Ponies. There is an Australian Quarter Pony Association based in Qld or NSW and Quarter Ponies are popular in America where they originated because people want the type & temperament of the QH but in miniature for children to ride.

12. Bear_Luva

Bear_Luva Active Member

I had a Clydie X TB that could buck like there was no tomorrow*#)
    I was Planning to jump with him but he didnt make height for me.
    He was on the clydie side you wouldnt even know there was a TB in there! lol
    But wow could he jump!!!!
    Wouldnt hestitate to buy another Clydie but X a QH- dont think so lol:))

13. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Not a good cross it may work but more often it doesn't as QH has heavy back in it lines. In fact they often breed this cross for buck jumping.

To cross with clydie it is speed on top strength on the ground, so in other words TB over Clydie.

Sharaway I would love you to come and see our Kids one day, they are pretty laid back horses:)

This Dissy a half bred

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Buzzo and Sunrise 1/4 Clydie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Janet:)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  14. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

SEE THEM, jeez woman, I want to OWN them lol. You know I love the stock that you breed.

15. eventkid1

eventkid1 Well-known Member

hmm
    well i had a clydey x arab
    weird weird mix!
    he was very compact but at the same time on the chunky side!! :)

16. Kelvin

Kelvin New Member

I guess like all horses you buy what suits your purpose, I have a clydie cross quarter horse mare and a clydie warmblood colt.

This is my mare at approx 3 years old (06)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008