Club Foot - can it be passed on?

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Megzee, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Megzee

Megzee New Member

Im not sure if Im posting this in the right spot lol but I'm just wanting to know what everybody else knows about club hooves or if your horse has a club foot and what you do with it etc. I want to know everything I can. I have a 4 month old and I was told this morning that he is club footed on his off fore. Im not exactly sure what to do really as I was going to use him for breeding but I dont know now. Any info would be much appreciated.
    Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2008
  2. mod 6

mod 6 Moderator

moved it and worded title bit better for clarity

3. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

yes it 'can' be passed on from what i have heard

4. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

Yes it can be passed down! in some instances yes and some no??? Post a picture and I will tell you if he has or not...

Has any of the previous foals ended up with club feet/foot?

5. samm

samm Gold Member

6. balletprincess

balletprincess Well-known Member

Poor Jaxon! I hope he doesn't. But there are varying degrees of severity. From slightly clubbed to like a box.

Belle's near hind hoof is slightly clubbed, and has a slightly roundish appearance. I can show you if you want if you're down tomorrow arvo and you're interested?

Correct farriery will help minimize the problem from memory.

But yes, there is a chance to pass it on. However, if you match up that fault with a mare without it, there's a good chance of good feet.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  7. pso

pso Gold Member

I have a couple of club footed horses....and yes, it does seem hereditary!
    Sure you can correct it so it looks right, but if he was born with it, his progeny are likely to have it too...

There is no reason for it to effect him as a performance horse, with correct farriery, but I dont think you should plan to breed from him:( JMO!

8. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

I have had a little bit of experience with club feet in horses. From the observations I have personnally done on station/wild horses in the NT and DNA gene typing records from the US it seems to run in the paternal line. Even if the sire does not show club feet himself, there is a good chance that he is a carrier and future foals are highly likely to have the same conformation problem.

Not sure who the sire of your boy is, but try to find out if he has been DNA tested to carry the gene - I think you will be suprised

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Can a horse has four clubbed feet?

10. balletprincess

I don't see why not..? I've seen one with two clubbed feet, so I assume it does happen.

11. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

I believe all four hooves can be clubbed - not sure how common it is though. I have only seen 2 clubbed hooves on the same horse as a max.

12. equus

equus Well-known Member

Not sure if my mare has a club hoof or not. From the photos I've seen there is sort of a kink in the hoof/leg connection (badly described this) She has a boxy hoof but doesn't seem to have the kink. If anyone actually understands what I just wrote.

13. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

equss, get a piccy up and someone might be bale to help you

or speak to your farrier!

14. Megzee

Megzee New Member

Thanks for changing it mod! so yes my poor little boy. he has an appointment with the vet next week for a second opinion. Ive read that sometimes a vet will have to help out depending on the severity so hopefully my farrier is able to keep on top of it. hes a little cheaper than the vet! lol im not sure how severe it is as ive never has a horse with any sort of feet problems. he is his dads first foal so who knows what other offspring would come out like. i suppose it depends on if his owner intends to continue breeding. thanks dayna your info helps. thanks for everyones help. i payed a lot of money for a 1 month old, and at that stage there was nothing wrong with him so not the old owners fault. just mine for being impatient. Oh and his dad doesnt have any foot problems as far as i know but ill have to check his blood lines and see where its come from. thanks everyone megzee :) and Mel im working tonight ill be out around 6 :)

15. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

your farrier should know if your horse has a club foot.

Yes I think it can be hereditary,

AND

if the Dam is grossly over weight or on to high protein diet while in-foal this can cause problems with leg-tendons and hooves in the unborn foal.

good luck with the vet next week

cheers
    Lee

16. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

If the horse was born with a clubbed foot then it can be passed on and as such you should not breed with it. If it was caused by an injury....which over time caused the hoof to become clubbed than no you wont pass it on :)

17. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

I ditto that. :)

18. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

hey would it be ok to breed a mare with a slightly clubbed foot and i mean slightly like only every 2 trims the farrier will have to re shape it slighty to fix it up and that is it but recently trying to find a farrier ro stay we have not had it specaily done and it seems fine ?? she is awesome in all other ways and has good conf

19. balletprincess

I think it would be if you find a stallion with good feet. Though you still run the risk of a club footed foal. But, the better the stallions feet, the lower the risk (unless he's a carrier like someone else said).

20. pso

pso Gold Member

I'd say its OK, so long as you are realistic about it...;)
    Higher than average chance of club footed foal, which shouldnt be used for breeding, and may have permanent soundness issues due to its club foot...May be hard to sell, as many vets will not pass a club footed horse...
    But if you are breeding for you, and aware there may be limitations... then I cant see a problem...**)

Is it worth the risk?