Clothing..

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by JessiTrist, Nov 12, 2003.

1. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

First helmets, then footwear, now clothing. What type of clothing do you wear around horses? Do you wear anything different when you ride? Also why do you wear what ever it is you do...

~To ride a horse is to borrow freedom...~

2. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

well it all depends on the weather and what i am doing with them!

but say in summer if i'm not riding i'll just wear shorts and a tshirt, and boots if i'm doing anything with the horses, like not just cleaning yards etc.

i tend to ride in joddys and boots and chappettes all the time, because i find it uncomfortable to ride in shorts or jeans! if i'm really slack in summer i ride bareback in shorts. i don't ride in sneakers, as they don't have the right soles and i don't want my feet to get stuck/ me get dragged etc. i know the odds of that happening are pretty low, but why take the risk? oh yeah - and a helmet no matter what. i've put too much work into my brain through study to have it ruined by not wearing a helmet and having an accident!

basically i make sure i'm safe (ie the boots) and comfortable, and then it's based on what the weather is!

p.

3. Kay

Kay New Member

Depends on the weather for me too.
    Generally, I ride in joddy's and boots. If it's really hot (The past 2 days) I just ride bareback in shorts and t-shirt
    I'm a big offender of not wearing boots when I am just pottering around - Ie Grooming, washing etc. That would probably explain the cut on my heel too [​IMG] I know I should wear them, but I'm comfy without shoes. One day I will probably have one of the big lugs stand on my shoeless foot and regret it, but in summer it's just too hot.
    I tend to forget the helmet if I'm working in the round yard, but the minute I'm out of there it's on my head.
    A friend of mine is very fond of japanese riding boots.... Can't say I'd like to try that though.

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I wear jeans, long boots and a top when riding. But when I'm not riding I don't wear any shoes "naughty me". I just can't stand shoes! I've had some pretty bad injuries to my feet one of em perminent but I still can't stand shoes. I like my tight tops and my tight jeans which I find are gorgous to ride in...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~

5. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

I am afraid that I am guilty of not wearing a helmet except in the ring.
    As most of our riding was done in the paddocks or out in the open we wore Akubra hats to avoid sunburn. Even then I am now having sunspots removed .
    The clothing bit , we always wore joddies to ride in because of the loss of skin in any other type of trousers. As the weather warmed up , it was long sleeved cotton shirts to protect the arms and the back of the neck. Summers here are like the summers over there with temperatures going to 40 +. As I have a red tinge in my hair and very fair skin , I used to burn badly.

Jo

6. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

I usually wear jeans and a collared shirt if I go straight from uni, or joddies and long boots if I have more time. I have been guilty of wearing sneakers *slap* bad girl! but I'm hoping to get some short boots this week. Widgelli, I feel your pain! I have red hair, blue eyes, pale skin and heaps of moles and freckles, I'm like a giant skin cancer waiting to happen! Sunscreen companies would go into receivership without me...
    :)

7. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

well i love my trackie dacks for bumming around in but to ride, i like jeans, love my blundstone boots & usually a t shirt i stole from my sons, when they chuck them out because they are not cool enough any more, well as the most uncool person on the planet, they are OK for me.
    it all depends on the weather, but i do always like my feet protected. even at the beach with horses i take my boots & only take them off in the water, when i slip on a pair of runners. icky jellyfish. hate getting stung.
    in summer a fly veil for me is a must also, hate flies, like to pull their wings off or bash them with the fly swatter.
    my boys used to use a fly swatter for the flies when they landed on my mare, when she was a yearling. she soon got used to kids swatting her & does not bat an eyelid even to this day if you slap a fly on her.
    oops sorry rambling again.

8. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

I always try and wear long sleeves and a collar. if its hot, then shirt sleeves. (got to protect those arms). I find jeans awful to ride in, unless they are specifically designed riding jeans. I like to wear my jods - light, easy to get on and off the horse, doesnt restrict hips so legs can go in right place. always were proper boots, gloves and helmet when riding. in winter i may wear wellingtons to catch the horse in (so toes dont get wet from creek) and in summer so nasty grass seeds dont get stuck in socks.

-bec-

9. ashka

ashka Well-known Member

Can't belive so many people ride in jeans - ugh - I hate the way they feel in the saddle - not to mention trying to mount your horse in them!!!

The last couple of days I've worn shorts and chappettes, but normally joddies or tracky dacks are the go.

And I always wear a helmet.

10. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

i used to ride in jeans, but because i wrecked them I now wear joddies. I found jeans very comfortable, mainly because they were worn and fitted like a dream. My pull-up joddies are my favourite. I wear my boots all the time, because otherwise we get told off, but sometimes i just go barefoot or with slip-on shoes on, I try to be careful but have been trod on before. I wear whatever shirt i have clean, usually just a simple t, sometimes baggy sometimes tight. In winter I ride with a jumper on aswell. I wear a helmet when I am riding only, otherwise I get all sweaty, but if i am just doing something small, like last weekend when I practised a turn on the forehand after my sister had finished riding, i dont worry *slaps wrist, naughty* Sometimes I jump on bareback and wear shorts, when it gets too hot I take shorts with me and put them on straight after my ride.

~To ride a horse is to borrow freedom...~

11. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I can't stand jodz. They sit so high on ur hips! I like my hypsters. I have a size 8 pair and a size 7 pair of jeans. The size eight is baggy now and quite nice to ride in but I can't stand the saggy but! So I always ride in my size 7 pair and when newly washed they are very hard to get on the horse with. But other wise I only ride in jodz at shows. Gotta love those jeans...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~

12. crave

crave Well-known Member

Joddies or yoga pants-no seams are the most comfy for me. I have very olive skin but still insist on a t-shirt with sleeves and a collar if possible in the hot months....trying to set a good example for my girls. I never ever ride without boots and never let the girls around the horses without their boots on. I've just paid $2000.00 for an op on my eldest girls foot(not the fault of horses) and have a fear of anything happening to her.

crave

13. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I tend to always wear joddies (dark coloured so they don't show up the dirt) and a t shirt and boots and of course a helmet for every day riding and if I'm just doing stuff around the horses.If I've just nipped down to feed them or to pick up the yards I tend to wear track suit pants and a t shirt. I have been known to 'drop in' to feed them on a weekend when we've been shopping in Perth or wherever and we're on our way home ,and I've been seen (and laughed at!) running out to catch the horses in a top,skirt and boots! Hey, don't laugh, after seeing some of the 'fashions' on the news tonight I might be setting a new trend! LOL

Ali

14. C HORSE

C HORSE Well-known Member

I ride in Jods I hate riding in Jeans its too hard to get on and uncomfortable I feel restricted.
    If I'm just feeding mucking out whatever I wear whatever jeans short's....
    Every morning I had to go out and feed my horse I had my work clothes on I had to be extra careful as I have to wear a white shirt and hope to go that my horse didnt sneeze or slobber on me..

15. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

I always have and always will ride only in joddies and either joddy boots and chappettes and long boots. I always wear my hat when riding too. When just feeding, mucking out and rugging, I will wear either trackies or shorts, depending on the weather, but I always always wear my rossis whenever im handling the horses at all. How funny is this tho, the last 2 nights have been so damn hot that I have been running around in a bright blue bikini and rossis!! Doing the horses and diving in the pool when I get hot and then go back to doing the horses!!! I think the neighbours get a good laugh out of it, I know Troy does....

16. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

when i go to coach/instruct, i always try and wear appropriate riding gear, moleskins/jods, boots and take my helmet. there are times i ride to demonstrate or feel the problem myself (or just an excuse to ride minty lol [​IMG] my turn my turn!), but i feel it very rude (only half interested) when an instructor turns up casual in non horsey clothing.
    what does your coach wear?

-bec-

17. sjb

sjb New Member

I was interested to read that so many others wear jods all the time - I thought I might be the only one. I can't think of anything worse than riding in jeans .... but then even my FEET aren't a size 7 anymore!! I also wear boots and chaps, short or long sleeved shirt depending on weather, sleeveless zip up shower proof jacket thing (I know it has a name but can't remember it!!) if its cold, always a helmet and most importantly the right undies (top and bottom!!) ..... now that can make a hell of a difference to riding comfort!! - and I suspect that is a 'unisex' truth.

18. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

my shoe size is about the same as my dress size! (10). I think there are a lot of jeans made today which are much stretchier than older styles, perhaps that's why I don't mind riding in them. I agree with the undies comment - I have seen some girls at shows riding in 'minimalist' underwear - do they have cast-iron bums or something??

19. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

You sure aint kiding about the right underwear bit. I am well endowed to say the least , and had to wear an extra strap around my neck to stop receiving black eyes when I rode, not to mention the numbness around the upper chest and neck.

Jo

20. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

TB4me - there are people who do turnout classes with no knickers at all on, to avoid panty lines.

i think that's taking it a little tooooooo far!

i feel the importance of good underwear can't be overemphasised!

ouch

p.