Clipping

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Eventer4Ever, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Hey everyone,
    My mum and I have been told by lots of people that we should clip my eventer (coz he is really hairy and takes ages to dry when he sweats up...) and we would have by now but the problem is that we don't live on the block that he's kept on. We own it and everything and all our horses are there but we only go out there once a day to feed up so we wouldn't be able to change his rugs in the morning... Halligan (my horse) sweats up a lot and gets colds quite easily because we have to put his rug back on before he dries properly.

So just wondering what you guys think... It would be a lot better for him to be clipped but we dont really want to have his warm night rug on during the day if it gets hot...

Hope you can help!
    :)

2. samm

samm Gold Member

You dont have to full clip him.Give him a chaser,trace or even a blanket clip.All these have legs left on but take away the sweaty areas around the girth ,under neck and belly.A hunter clip you are removing the hair from over the back so I probably wouldnt go hunter.

3. Sherri69

Sherri69 Well-known Member

Clip it off you will benefit heaps from it, lower heart rate more stamina there are many reasons why we clip. Just leave the legs on and add another woolen to replace what you took away. Then there is no difference just as if he still had the hair if you know what I mean.**)

4. Eventer4Ever

Yeah thanks Sherri. That does make a lot of sense, never really thought about it like that. The other problem we have tho is we have to find someone who is willing to do it for us (coz we've never clipped before) and because we a re way down here its not as easy as it seems lol not as easy as it would be to find someone in Perth to clip for us anyways...

5. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I would do Halli for you, I have a new set of clippers on order, but it might be summer again before I get home.

Tell Mum to call me, the clippers that she still has of mine just need a differant head on them, they will do Halli all over just fine.

And its not that hard to do mate, if I can do it then Mum can.

6. Sherri69

Sherri69 Well-known Member

I have done clipping for over 24 of my 39 years ohhhhh my back. I only clip for people now that have very quite or sedated horses. Lifes to short to be killed by a horse:p

7. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Yep Sherri, I sedate one of mine, she just cant be trusted to not have a go, and makes the entire process a doddle rather than a battle.

8. Eventer4Ever

haha yeah thats right lol Hally is really quiet... We can clip in his ears and his face and everything and he falls asleep lol... Don't think I would ever put up with having a spooky horse lol as you said... Life's too short to be killed by a horse lol

9. Eventer4Ever

**bump bump**

10. Pocket Rocket

Pocket Rocket Well-known Member

i would go for a trace clip or something like that, my mare has a trace clip because she still has fur all along her back with a hairy face and legs and under her belly and neck is skin

this is what she looks like:
    (hope its useful)
    [​IMG]