Clingy horse.

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by shann198, May 21, 2014.

1. shann198

shann198 New Member

my horse is 5 yr.old. he has to be the clingiest horse I have ever come across. I cant work with him in the paddock without his attention being where the other horse is. If we go riding he wont stand still if the other is is moving, and wont let him out of his sight. I know this has been done before, but im getting a bit frustrated with him, if he gets away when trying to work him he takes of across the paddock straight to the other horse. I really need some ideas, thanks

2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Is he paddocked on his own?
    If not, thats the first thing I'd be doing.

3. shann198

shann198 New Member

I would love to paddock by himself, but not an option.
    I agist and paddocks are very hard to come by. there
    in a 11 acre paddock, with no internal fences

4. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

Groundwork that teaches him to keep his attention on you, so basically every time his attention wanders ask him to do something that requires his attention immediately. When you do this you usually need to put more pressure on than if they were paying attention so in the end the horse doesn't takes it's attention away as it pre-empts that if it does it will be asked to do something. Once the ground work is good and you are keeping his attention move this to the ridden and again ask for more every time his attention leaves you.

5. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

What RVP said... make the focus you. Ground work ground work

6. realalvin

realalvin New Member

Sorry for you!

7. shann198

shann198 New Member

lol. thanks sorry for me to.