Click Training.

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Arnie, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Has anyone ever tried clicker training? Or heard of someone useing it? Any good?

~§Arnie§~

2. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Clicker training has been around in the UK for a couple of years now and a friend of mine over there has used it on her horse and her dog. She said it works quite well as it's a reinforcement through a sound associatation. I think the current Hoof Beats mag has some info on it. My friend did say though that it took her horse alot longer to train to it than her dog. It's worth a try!

Ali

3. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

I do agility with my dog and use the clicker training method. It seems to work well SO far!!! I havent tried it on the horses though. I think i need a better understanding of the training method before i start to play around with my horses.

4. Mel

Mel New Member

I have used the clicker training method for a problem horse, I had one horse which had been neglected and abused and so didnt trust anyone, you couldnt even pat him much.
    I used the clicker method for picking up his feet as he was food orientated and it seemed the least traumatic way for me to teach him and quicker too. It did work for that particular problem but I never used it for anything else.
    It did seem to work, at least my horse was clear at the time, what was right and what wasnt.
    From what I have read, people have been getting some good results with this training method, there is a book you can buy on it, sorry I just cant remember the name of it. [​IMG](
    Good Luck

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thankyou. How does clicker training work. I have read the article in the Hoof Beats magazine and found heaps of information on a website but I just don't understand how it works. Can someone brake it down for me? Thankyou...

~§Arnie§~

6. Mel

Mel New Member

This is from memory Arnie so bear with me as I try to explain... I will use picking up a horses hoof as an example as it may be easier to explain

You first have to teach your horse that a click is a good thing. eg. when your horse lifts his hoof on his own that is good click and reward your horse with a treat (carrot etc.). Your horse will quickly learn that with a click comes something yummy and he has done good. He will then associate the click with something good (positive).
    You do that until it is installed and ask for more. eg. hold his foot for up himself for longer
    In the end he will associate the click with a good thing and you will not need food, you will see his ears flicking around waiting for the click to figure out whether he has done good or not, its kinda cute cos when they hear the click there ears normally go forward like a smile when you tell a little boy he's done a really good thing. :)

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

OMG that sounds so cute. I so have to try that now. Thankyou[​IMG]

~§Arnie§~

8. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Just to let you know that there is an article in this months Hoof Beats about clicker training.

Ali

9. Goldpally

Goldpally Active Member

Is that the Jun /Jul or is the new one out , Aug / Sep ?

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Yes I saw that quite a while ago thanks....

~§Arnie§~

11. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

The clicker training is coverd again in this new Hoof Beats (aug/sept) it's got Monty Roberts on the cover. I've not had chance to sit and read it properly yet as my 3 year old son has took it to bed with him?!!! Hey, maybe I've got a young horse trainer in the making?!!!!!! I wish!

Ali

12. C HORSE

C HORSE Well-known Member

The aug/sept Hoofbeats has more on clicker training!

13. C HORSE

C HORSE Well-known Member

I would love to try click training??
    Maybe one day when I get another horse I will give it a go.
    It looks interesting and fun!!!!

14. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thankyou, I will go out and get one ASAP...

~§Arnie§~

15. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

16. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

so since this discussion, has any one used it?

-bec-

17. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I personally haven't yet because I don't really understand it 100% but i have seen many horses up for sale that now have 'clicker training'...

~§Arnie§~

18. Mel

Mel New Member

Hi Bec,

I have just started using it again, I have a problem horse given to me, he is very stubborn, we have tried many different types of training, most of which use comfort and discomfort, with no success, he just stops when the pressure gets too much or runs, I think he has been very roughly treated, very headshy, so I am just starting clicker training with him now, I have only given him one lesson so far, fingers crossed, this will work. I have written out 11 lessons in total from ground work to ridden and am looking forward to finding something that this guy can enjoy and relate to, never give up, my motto anyway.

~Mel~

19. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

Good Luck Mel....keep us updated on how he's going...

Ness