Classical Dressage Bit Question

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Northern Peregrine, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

I saw PK ride at the demo eveing and that man is truly a good rider (independent everything!). Does he compete dressage? It would be interesting to see how he scores because that would definitely give an idea of what judges perceive as good dressage.

2. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

So very true. I picked my coach because I love watching him ride he is also riding at a far higher level than what I am. Watching him ride my horses is awesome, within 5 minutes of him getting on my little Terrorbred he is going around like a horse with 6 months education under his belt, then I have to try and achieve the same. It is nice know my horse CAN do it and its just ME who needs to learn how to get him to do it more consistantly for me to!

3. myst

myst Active Member

Bits

I couldn't agree more. **)

4. kathera

kathera Active Member

Sorta - the Parelli - itis comment I made was more as Admin had jumped in to "watch the thread" due to the promotion and also a comment of "hear we go again"

It was meant in jest tho, from a previous thread "why do people hate parelli" and no offence both to Parelli fans or PK - apologies if it caused any!

I agree that we take bits from everywhere and do what is best for us, as others have also said not follow one method devotedly at expense of others.

I'm fan of Parelli, PK, classical, whatever - anything to do with horses if i am learning! and my horse and i get better, together. (ok that sounds really naive, what i mean is open mindedness is the way i can learn and can try anything once, if it works, go with it :)

Enjoy:))

5. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Since your previous reply was directed at me, i can't help but feel like you meant me in this statement. Especially as i didn't bag anyone out.
    Anyway... *extends hand to shake*... :eek:

TB4Me, i think you can learn good riding from a DVD or book. Because you can see how people treat their horses and how they ride them and act, and what they say. You actually can learn quite a fair bit, as people will show you their true colours on rare occasions when they forget the camera is there.
    And you can certainly learn about different methods and the reasoning behind it to see if it appeals or if it's something you'd like to try.
    Obviously nothing beats actually trying it with an instructor, but I know i've learnt through books and videos (gees, i still say 'videos', lol :eek: )

As far as instructors go, i personally couldn't give a rat's if they've competed or not, or how many letters they can fit on their business card after their name. The most important thing to me is that my instructor teach me what i want to learn, using the method that i feel comfortable with. That we get on, that they like my horse, and they show a genuine interest in furthering my and my horse's education.

Not naive at all. Great way to see things **)

6. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

** shakes hand back** :)

7. coffee lover

coffee lover New Member

DVD's can also be edited, I think they are great for ideas and information gathering but you won't learn what your supposed feel sitting at home watching a DVD. A good instructor is the best investment you can make in your horse and yourself. Letters on a business card don't mean much to me but I do think that a good reputation is hard earned and If you are an instructor then going out and competing on horses you have trained and also having people you are teaching go out and perform well is still one of the best ways of marketing yourself.

8. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Could not have said it better myself.

BUT I still find it strange that CDA has stated on her website that she has commenced PK teacher training, when no one has even been accepted yet. Then PK's website clearly states that he does not appreciate this sort of false and misleading advertising.

To be a good instructor you shouldn't have to talk yourself up with presumably fabricated details on your education.

I can't apply for a job as a Doctor, and claim to be at medical school. Then when I start work - what happens then LOL *#)

9. TobanMokey736

TobanMokey736 Well-known Member

WITH all due Respect...

I am with PSO and Heifer on this. I have had a lesson with this person, having heard the spiel, and I didn't get anything from it whatsoever.. and I consider myself to be an open minded sort. It was all about the horse and nothing about the rider. I have just spent most of 2009 in VIC having 3-4 lessons a week with an instructor called Robyn Surrey (feel free to ask her about it ;)) who was trained for years by the same person who coaches/coached the German Dressage team. This I feel has got to have more merit than attending one PK clinic for a day or two ( I wasn't there I have no idea how long it was)

I am completely floored by how much my riding has improved with Robyn, and looking back at how much I DIDN'T know beforehand. I am not proclaiming to be some whizz-bang-fandangle German Dressage Instructor, but through increased understanding I now ride much better and IF people ask I will offer my opinion on the matter. I hope to be out and competing later on this year and into next.

I came away from this person's lesson feeling confused as everything said was a contradiction and I was annoyed at being made to feel like a clutz and a bad rider juust because I have been trained differently, and dare I say more comprehensively. The impression I got from this person was not one of which I could trust and I felt less pressured to convert to something when the Mormons knock on my door.... (ABSOLUTELY no disrespect to any religion intended, just an illustration) I am happy with my horse, and my saddle thank you VERY much. There are some photos on the net of some of this person's 'dressage' and I must certainly say that if any of it is classical dressage then I MOST certainly won't be part of it. The horse is on the forehand, not light in front, the poll is not the hightst point. Fair one could say of a horse just starting in it's education, BUT this horse is supposed to have been trained by them for at least 8 years.. it is possible and perfectly achievable to get a horse from scratch to Grand Prix level in 4-5 yrs bar any time off from injury, and/or any unforseen occurrences. Go figure! This is by someone of the highest calibre and experience... (NOT me!) In many of these pics, the horse is being held back with LOW hands with a rather firm 'contact' no lightness here in sight. The working trot is not really a working trot, neither the medium, extended, or collected. How can you have true collection when so far on the forehand?? I am sorry guys I really am, but this is my GHO (God's honest opinion) I could go on and on, believe me there's more but it's just making me cranky so I will try to restrain myself. You can bet your bottom dollar that the actual man PK himself would not be impressed.

My friend who came to the lesson was stunned that so little actual teaching involved. Needless to say I haven't been back and never will. WITH all due respect....

I am watching this thread with interest. Sorry to hijack/potentially kill thread.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  10. Eyesa

Eyesa Guest

I too had a lesson with the person in question, needless to say will NEVER be going back. #(

11. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

I just feel that horse riding is one of the few sports where it's possible to teach without having any experience with the discipline in question - all you need is a theory and a good line of talk. Personally, I know that not all high level riders are good coaches, some are terrible. But I prefer to be taught by someone who has shown that they have the skills to get several horses or students to a high level.
    I mean come on, who would you rather have a lesson with - George Morris or someone who once had a horse that could jump a bit? :D

12. coffee lover

coffee lover New Member

I am in total agreement with you TB4ME and at the end of the day it really does not cost that much more to get a really good coach who has walked the walk to someone who just talks about it but perhaps could not ride a wet swag in a thunderstorm!!!

13. myst

myst Active Member

Bits

This is exactly what i have been saying all along. There are very green riders on this forum. I read their comments and feel their frustration. Along comes a new guru to the forum spouting all this " I can save you" gunk and all sense goes out the window. I will say PK is a very good rider but not everyone can ride like him. I don't agree with a lot of his message but he does have the welfare of the horse at heart. I just worry that unknowing people will get caught up in all the wrong things. My daughter rides at FEI level and has had lessons and trained with the best, she has trained and ridden quite a few horses to a high level as well as had some training in Germany. She looks at some of the comments on this forum and gets very angry with the incorrect advice green riders are given. I am a judge and I see these riders come in and do a test, excited and wanting to do their best but getting the wrong advice , I watch things go haywire and feel so sorry for them. I don't want to have to give low marks but they have no idea of the correct way of going because their instructor has given them bad training, then who gets the blame, the judge ! because she doesn't know what's she is doing or perhaps the Germans because they are cruel and all use Rolkur. What a load of crock!!! My advice is watch riders at shows, see how they ride and treat their horse, see how well their horse goes and if you like what you see and want to be like that find out who they are, if they instruct and or who their instructor is. Help is there for those who want help.:))

14. TobanMokey736

TobanMokey736 Well-known Member

**) to that Myst! ;)

15. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Thanks for sharing that Toban Monkey...I, too, cant understand how someone can be promoting PK's ways but never have had a lesson with him. Sorry but it just doesn gel well with me:confused:

Maybe its why they didnt advertised the instructors name in the first place?

I think its great to go to a few different instructors as long as they train along the same lines....and dont add to the confusion.

16. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

I am now closing this thread, all too subjective for me.

cheers...admin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.